Retained puppy teeth - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 10:32 PM
Elite Member

They need to go. The photo shows a dead tooth which is a source of infection to the dog, as well as causing the left canine anyways, to be "base Narrow" . Eventually the adult tooth will push into her palate, cause a painful hole and mess up her occlusion . If that happens you will either have to remove the canines, or do a vital pulp therapy to remove that pain.

As far as cost, I work for a board Certified Veterinary Dentist, so you don't want to know how much THAT would cost if 200 is a lot to you. Taking out puppy teeth is delicate work so you a remove it all, and b don't mess up the root of the adult tooth causing it to die later ( where it will require root canal therapy) or have enamel defects ( infraction in the tooth enamel that can allow in bacteria). This is an extremely common surgery we perform in my office.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 07:44 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaMomma View Post
This is what I am worried about as it making her adult canines come in on the inside and since her puppy teeth are a different color I'm trying my hardest to get her into a vet fast for removal but with her barely being 5 months I don't want her spayed I want to wait till 8 min but don't want to pay 160$- 192$ per tooth, anesthesia and blood work fees it's like 350-600just for her teeth without spay

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Sorry - this does not fly - the dog needs those teeth out ASAP....and in order for her to mature properly she should NOT be spayed until at least a year - better closer to two. Spays too young can change growth patterns and you can end up with dogs who have issues...growth plates need to be closed before spays for example.

Are you sure on the age??? that seems a bit early to have adult canines coming in....I tend to see them closer to 6 months, with the fronts just starting at 4 months....

Lee

Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Lynx, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, Danger RH & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
Sorry - this does not fly - the dog needs those teeth out ASAP....and in order for her to mature properly she should NOT be spayed until at least a year - better closer to two. Spays too young can change growth patterns and you can end up with dogs who have issues...growth plates need to be closed before spays for example.

Are you sure on the age??? that seems a bit early to have adult canines coming in....I tend to see them closer to 6 months, with the fronts just starting at 4 months....

Lee
She is 22 weeks old born august 19th 2016 and trying my hardest to get them out not no vet in my area does payment plans for parealdontal work and the humane society won't help unless I spay her while getting teeth removed

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
They need to go. The photo shows a dead tooth which is a source of infection to the dog, as well as causing the left canine anyways, to be "base Narrow" . Eventually the adult tooth will push into her palate, cause a painful hole and mess up her occlusion . If that happens you will either have to remove the canines, or do a vital pulp therapy to remove that pain.

As far as cost, I work for a board Certified Veterinary Dentist, so you don't want to know how much THAT would cost if 200 is a lot to you. Taking out puppy teeth is delicate work so you a remove it all, and b don't mess up the root of the adult tooth causing it to die later ( where it will require root canal therapy) or have enamel defects ( infraction in the tooth enamel that can allow in bacteria). This is an extremely common surgery we perform in my office.
She's on antibiotics to help prevent infection was aware of toothed being dead asked for antibiotics right away. And I didn't know it was so complicated and normal here in arizona vets charge 300 just for a spay and they are talking 1-200$ a tooth and from what I know from my vet there are 2 on the bottom that need to be pulled and 2 on the top I usually have an emergancy fund set up but got pet insurance instead this time and they won't cover parealdontal work on puppies.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 12:11 PM
Knighted Member

If they are infected, you definitely need to get them out. But my dog's teeth were also changing color and were not causing any other problems. Can you get a price check from a different vet?
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
If they are infected, you definitely need to get them out. But my dog's teeth were also changing color and were not causing any other problems. Can you get a price check from a different vet?
They aren't infected antibiotics were precautionary she's 5 months on the 19th and vet and other say to wait a litter longer and they should fall out on their ow I don't want to put her under unless truley necessary

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 05:01 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
They aren't infected antibiotics were precautionary she's 5 months on the 19th and vet and other say to wait a litter longer and they should fall out on their ow I don't want to put her under unless truley necessary

That is a good plan.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 07:31 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
She's on antibiotics to help prevent infection was aware of toothed being dead asked for antibiotics right away. And I didn't know it was so complicated and normal here in arizona vets charge 300 just for a spay and they are talking 1-200$ a tooth and from what I know from my vet there are 2 on the bottom that need to be pulled and 2 on the top I usually have an emergancy fund set up but got pet insurance instead this time and they won't cover parealdontal work on puppies.

Retained puppy teeth and the resulting base narrow canines, are an ORTHODONTIC problem , NOT periodontal disease .

The ins may not cover that either, because some vets think there is a genetic component, BUT i would check your policy, or call them. If they cover it then you could go to a Board Certified Dentist, where they would get those puppy teeth out lickity-split ( minimizing anesthesia amount and time that you are worried about since they use dental blocks like your dentist does and can do it much quicker then a regular vet.)
JennaMomma likes this.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
Retained puppy teeth and the resulting base narrow canines, are an ORTHODONTIC problem , NOT periodontal disease .

The ins may not cover that either, because some vets think there is a genetic component, BUT i would check your policy, or call them. If they cover it then you could go to a Board Certified Dentist, where they would get those puppy teeth out lickity-split ( minimizing anesthesia amount and time that you are worried about since they use dental blocks like your dentist does and can do it much quicker then a regular vet.)
Thank you

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 08:38 AM
Crowned Member

give her hard chews, play tug with a rag, get them loosened up....maybe they will come out....roots on baby teeth are tiny

Lee

Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Lynx, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, Danger RH & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page