Hip Dysplasia or Not ? 8 Month Old GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Hip Dysplasia or Not ? 8 Month Old GSD

Hello Everyone,
So my 8 month old german shepherd King has been limping since he was 5 months old. At first he would limp when he was at medium speed running, then he began to also limp when walking. its not really a limp, its more like his leg twists in. Now this limping/twisting(lameness) is only on the right leg. I took him to the vet and at first we thought it was panosteitis but once his leg started to show lameness on walks, I took him to the vet again and I got his x-ray done. Before the x-ray, the vet did a hip test (not sure what it is called), that if the hip pops/clicks, means there is hip dysplasia. Now that's what he told me. So when he did the hip test only the right leg popped/clicked. So the vet said that means his right hip is hip dysplasia positive. Then we got his x-ray done. Now in the x-ray I see good hips. I don't know if I'm mistaken but I see no hip dysplasia. Can someone tell me what you think of his hips ? please give me some information as I feel my vet is not that experienced. I wanted to go to another vet but he is the only one nearby. Any feedback is appreciated, thanks !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0001-00001.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	402354  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 10:48 PM
Elite Member

So he is limping on a hind leg, not a front?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 10:48 PM
Elite Member

You can submit these to OFA for not a lot and get a preliminary rating...would be evaluated by 3 orthopedic vets I think.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

He I only limping on the right back leg. no limping on any others. I heard the dog must be 2 years old before getting OFA, is that false ?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

He is limping in the right hind leg only. not in the front
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 04:06 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston12 View Post
He I only limping on the right back leg. no limping on any others. I heard the dog must be 2 years old before getting OFA, is that false ?
I have heard something to that effect also?? It takes times for the dogs to grow into there joints??

Diet is important ... stay away from the "Large Breed" crap too much "calcium," is I belive the issue. And limit the amount of running/walking on hard surfaces ie no one mile jogs on hard surfaces!

Just stuff I've heard ... I've never had issue with this myself but give it time and more members will chime in.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 09:20 AM
Crowned Member

OFA will do Preliminary evaluations prior to 2 years....I often do them at 12 - 16 months and use the x-rays to get certified in Germany if OFA Good and Normal due to requirements for getting a German breed survey. I think 4 months is the youngest they will evaluate....Prelims are only read by one vet, not three

Not sure of what changes happen between 8 mo and 1 year....the balls, or femoral heads, look nice and round and well covered at the top, can't quite decide what to think on the socket formation on one side, and the position is not real straight. BUT!!!!! BUT - I would have your vet submit these to OFA for evaluation for sure!!!! I would NOT monkey around with any surgery or treatment because they do NOT LOOK BAD ENOUGH in my mind to intervene.

I think it is $35 or 45 now to submit to OFA. Please do that and let us know the results, prelims are a quick turn around.....
gsdluvr and Chip18 like this.

Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Lynx, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, Danger RH & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Will send them to OFA. thanks a lot for the replies and I will post the results. I have had him on a raw diet ever since he started limping so I think we are good with the food on slow growth
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 12:47 PM
Elite Member

Did they check his acl in that leg?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
Did they check his acl in that leg?
They did a physical check (touching) to check for ACL without x-ray, though King shows no pain when being examined on his knees. I noticed when he is standing, the right hind leg's paw is an inch higher than his left leg's paw. Its not very noticeable but since I keep looking at his leg I can sort of see it every now and then. He doesn't lift it though, so its kind of like hes tip toeing on the right paw but just by an inch than the other leg so its not really tip toeing, but just a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page