German Shepherds Forum banner

Bladder issue

847 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  carmspack 
#1 ·
My 6 month old GSD has been housebroken since he was 3 months old. He does not have accidents and is crate trained. He is in his crate from 7:30 am to 1:30 pm then he is let out and walked around and goes back in his cage at 1:50 pm and gets back out at 6 pm for the rest of the night. We just recently noticed that he can be laying down awake and will start urinating without going to the door to be let out which is unlike him. He did it last night and this morning. He also urinates quite a bit when my husband comes home from out of town. Could we be looking at a weak bladder or is this normal?

#5 ·
have the dog's drinking habits changed?

you said "He also urinates quite a bit when my husband comes home from out of town"

are we talking about submissive urination - little squirts . When husband comes home does the dog go a little grovelly?

it is the right age to be socially sensitive .

even when laying down and you are staring at him he might have an involuntary release of a little urine.

if that is the case , the more you make it an issue the more persistent it will be .

#6 ·
Really document what he is doing. Submissive urination is when they are excited and squat and squirt a little and remain pretty focused on the person that is exciting them. A UTI can cause excessive urination or attempts at urination. Lying down or asleep when urinating??? If it is the latter I would be at the vet testing for infection first. If it is a UTI I would follow up treatment with a table spoon of organic apple cider vinegar two times a day to increase acidity of his urine.

#7 ·
"We just recently noticed that he can be laying down awake and will start urinating"

this might be those submissive squirts -- this is a young dog who may be going through a social-sensitive period .
Staring at him , focusing on him will make him squirt . He doesn't realize it so there is no attempt to get up to go outside.
This is involuntary like blushing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.