German Shepherds Forum banner

EnTice Ant Bait

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Nurse Bishop 
#1 ·
My 88 Pound 7 year old GSD consumed approximately half an once of EnTice Ant Bait Trap. The active ingredient is Borax. Is this going to be harmful for the dog? She was chewing on it didn't break the plastic however.
Clark

#3 · (Edited)
Call an emergency vet. If they aren't sure they will advise you to call poison control. I've had to call poison control twice. Once for a flea collar and once for possible injestion of fertilizer( turned out they didn't eat any) but better safe then sorry.

#4 ·
ASPCA Poison Control - 65$ consult fee
1-888-423-4435

You speak with a toxicologist and get the best recommendations for treatment, prognosis, and symptoms

#5 ·
Too late for OP, but for others who find this in the future:

If your dog has a HomeAgain microchip, and if you pay for their "premium" annual service ($17 or so), you get FREE, UNLIMITED calls to their emergency vet line, including access to the ASPCA poison control emergency database. The number is 888-HomeAgain .

The person on the other end of the phone is a licensed vet, and they're extremely helpful -- not just in potential poisoning episodes, but also injury and illness events that occur after-hours, when you need guidance on whether you need to go to the emergency vet or can wait.

I've pay the annual fee to HA only to be able to have access to this.
https://public.homeagain.com/pet-emergency.html

#6 ·
I called poison control. They wouldn't talk to me about a pet. I went online to the poison control website and answered questions such boy or girl? Age 7, Weight 88 pounds, and they gave me the prognosis. If child ate plastic feed them bread so we did, (Plastic has sharp edges, the bread surrounds the plastic) Is her tongue burned from the poison? No it wasn't. Etc. If CPS shows up tomorrow. (They typically only work on the weekdays) and ask to see Ginger I will call her to the door and she will be wagging her tail happy to see them! :)
Clark,

#7 ·
I will monitor Ginger for the next couple of days. The caregiver for my Mother in Law heard a crunching sound and took the ant bait away from Ginger. Borax is a drying agent and can only be fatal in large quantities, the larger the dog the better chance of no effect. Since the Ant Bait has only 12 grams of gel and only 3% Borax as an active ingredient I think Ginger will be fine. The plastic is more of a danger then the ant bait itself.
Clark,

#9 ·
Inga ate a rat on Thansgiving

This is no joke. She was seen by the pasture gate gobbling up an old, dead, rotten looking rat. There are Tom Cat Bait Bars rodent poison around in animal proof feeders we made ourselves out of PVC pipe. Since she had just eaten the rat and it is an anticoagulant poison, I made her throw up 3% with hydrogen peroxide by mouth. Look up the dose and ask your vet, you don't want to give too much. They should vomit within 3 minutes. She threw up disgusting greenish fizzy liquid with fur and rib bones. If you have rodent poison around be on the lookout for dead rats and mice, even though the dogs cannot get the actual poison.

#11 ·
This is no joke. She was seen by the pasture gate gobbling up an old, dead, rotten looking rat. There are Tom Cat Bait Bars rodent poison around in animal proof feeders we made ourselves out of PVC pipe. Since she had just eaten the rat and it is an anticoagulant poison, I made her throw up 3% with hydrogen peroxide by mouth. Look up the dose and ask your vet, you don't want to give too much. They should vomit within 3 minutes. She threw up disgusting greenish fizzy liquid with fur and rib bones. If you have rodent poison around be on the lookout for dead rats and mice, even though the dogs cannot get the actual poison.
My friends golden got into this Tom Cat stuff. If you do not catch it right away there is nothing a vet can do. They have no way to reverse this particular poison. It's not like D-con, which I think people might think. Vets can help a dog with the d-con. Vets want that Tom cat stuff off the shelves, it's that dangerous to dogs.

#10 ·
This is nothing to mess around with. If in doubt, call an emergency vet hotline number. Keep one by your phone. There was a family in a rural area with a lot of farming that used poison on the ground around their fruit trees on one section of the property. They had trained German Shepherd guard dogs to keep people away from their house. The dogs got loose and went to the one area where there was poison. They noticed the dogs were missing almost right away. It's a big property. By the time they found them, all their dogs were dead.

#12 · (Edited)
Yes it is a good thing I made her vomit immediately. Here is a pubmed article about how to treat dogs that have eaten Tom Cat bait bar, the drug is Diphacinone, an anticoagulant.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6689111 The antidote is Vitamin K.

I have, on doctor's orders, administered vitamin K injection subcutaneously to people who have taken too much Coumadin, another and one of the first anticoagulents used for patients to prevent them from forming a blood clot and having a stroke (sorry, off topic)

There is a much worse poison called Golden Malrin fly bait. The animal is usually found dead 10 feet from the bait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.