German Shepherds Forum banner

Normal Bloodwork Results for GSDs?

797 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Momto2GSDs 
#1 ·
Hi guys!

I thought this might already have a thread, but I looked and couldn't find one - so if there is one, please link me (and I apologize!)

What are normal breed-specific bloodwork results that you would expect with GSDs? My vet suspected Cushing's but bloodwork came back "within normal limits." Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that she's not extremely ill, but I would like to make sure that there isn't any level "high normal" that would normally be low in GSDs (or vice versa)... if that makes sense.

Thanks for any information! Just trying to find answers to my girl's recent problems.

#3 ·
No, there is no normal "breed specific" bloodwork in german shepherds. Certain breeds of dogs and cats are more prone to have certain blood types. Greyhounds are the only breed that come to mind with obvious blood differences, they have more red blood cells, which makes them ideal donor candidates, and on average fewer platelets and white blood cells. Some chemistry values are also elevated compared to other breeds, but that is likely due to their extreme muscle mass compared to overall build. Otherwise, blood ranges for an area are universal. A dog is a dog.

#4 ·
Cushing article from Dr. Deva Khalsa: http://www.doctordeva.com/wp-content/uploads/cushings-disease.pdf

Dr. Jean Dodds: Dr. Jean Dodds: "Blood is my thing."
"I am by training a veterinary hematologist and immunologist. After graduation from veterinary school, I was a Research Scientist with the New York State Health Department and began comparative studies of animals with inherited and acquired bleeding diseases. Eventually, my position culminated as Chief, Laboratory of Hematology, Wadsworth Center. In 1980, I also became Executive Director, New York State Council on Human Blood and Transfusion Services before moving to Southern California to start Hemopet, a non-profit, closed colony blood bank for dogs, greyhound rescue and veterinary specialty diagnostic program."

On line consults with Dr. Dodds: Consultations with Dodds

More Cushing info: Dr. Jean Dodds' Pet Health Resource Blog | Diagnosing Atypical Cushing?s Disease/Syndrome in...

Just FYI: Normal reference laboratory ranges are not provided here, as these may vary depending upon the type of instrumentation and reagents used. Each veterinary diagnostic laboratory or in-clinic diagnostic test machine comes with its own normal reference ranges. (Dr. Dodds)
My vet suspected Cushing's but bloodwork came back "within normal limits." So, you may want to have the blood test run again in a different lab to compare, just to make sure.

Hemopet: Hemopet Canine Blood Bank, Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory & Greyhound Rescue, Dr. Dodds

Moms :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.