osteochondritis dissecans - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Question osteochondritis dissecans

Hi everyone,

So my GSD Thor, he's been having a small lameness issue. His back legs where the joint meets the hip is the best I could explain. One day I noticed he was walking kind of funny so I pressed my hands against that area on each side and as he was walking I felt like a popping out of place feeling there. I got nervous so I contacted his breeder, she advised me not to go get X-rays yet because they could just be "growing pains" she said to get him some joint supplements and so I did. I took him to a vet and explained everything he does which is that funny walk sometimes, he limps a little bit after he's been walking outside for about 10 minutes or after he finishes with his random burst' of energy running all around the house. Sometimes when he gets up from laying down he rises kind of slow like if there isn't or he can't use all the strength back there. Also I noticed sometimes when turns to fast he kind of loses his balance and looks like he's about to fall. So anyway the vet suggested just get some anti inflammatory medication, keep walks short, and let him rest but with a 8 month old GSD that's almost impossible. Oh by the way he has never yelped or showed any signs of pain so that also confuses the heck out of me. Vet said it's kind of pointless to do X-rays because usually their structure isn't fully developed until about 18 months so he might just get over it and it will go away. Thor is turning 9 months end of the month and by then he should weigh somewhere between 68-75 Pounds I'm assuming. Last time he was weighed he weighed about 66 pounds. Is he too heavy for his bones/joints right now ? I give him LBP kibble. I'm thinking of just switching his food to regular adult food because maybe he's growing way to fast with the puppy LBP food ? Doing my research I feel like he has osteochondritis dissecans but the non painful version ? If there is such thing. I need some opinions here, they would really be appreciated.

Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay93 View Post
Hi everyone,

So my GSD Thor, he's been having a small lameness issue. His back legs where the joint meets the hip is the best I could explain. One day I noticed he was walking kind of funny so I pressed my hands against that area on each side and as he was walking I felt like a popping out of place feeling there. I got nervous so I contacted his breeder, she advised me not to go get X-rays yet because they could just be "growing pains" she said to get him some joint supplements and so I did. I took him to a vet and explained everything he does which is that funny walk sometimes, he limps a little bit after he's been walking outside for about 10 minutes or after he finishes with his random burst' of energy running all around the house. Sometimes when he gets up from laying down he rises kind of slow like if there isn't or he can't use all the strength back there. Also I noticed sometimes when turns to fast he kind of loses his balance and looks like he's about to fall. So anyway the vet suggested just get some anti inflammatory medication, keep walks short, and let him rest but with a 8 month old GSD that's almost impossible. Oh by the way he has never yelped or showed any signs of pain so that also confuses the heck out of me. Vet said it's kind of pointless to do X-rays because usually their structure isn't fully developed until about 18 months so he might just get over it and it will go away. Thor is turning 9 months end of the month and by then he should weigh somewhere between 68-75 Pounds I'm assuming. Last time he was weighed he weighed about 66 pounds. Is he too heavy for his bones/joints right now ? I give him LBP kibble. I'm thinking of just switching his food to regular adult food because maybe he's growing way to fast with the puppy LBP food ? Doing my research I feel like he has osteochondritis dissecans but the non painful version ? If there is such thing. I need some opinions here, they would really be appreciated.

Thanks so much.
*UPDATE*

I was curious and decided to grab his hind legs and stretch them back, his right side was fine but when i stretched his left leg back he started whining a little bit so the problem lies mostly on the left side. Uhh ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page