German Shepherds Forum banner

Accidental od of antibiotic

677 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Elsieb 
#1 ·
Our boy has some skin issues and he is on benedryl 3x a day and 3 clindamycin 150mg once a day.
Made an error last night and gave him a second dose of the clindamycin instead of the 3 benedryl.
Anything I should look for and should he get the 3 pills today or should I skip a day bc he got a
double dose. Thanks for any input.

#6 ·
Does your vet have an answering service or system for getting emergency messages? If so, use leave a message -- you should get a call back. One vet I know has the after hours messages electronically transcribed by the computer and forwarded by email -- they call back if it's urgent. Another vet I know has a contract with an emergency vet clinic so that their phones forward there. Some states actually require some system, but maybe not all do.

If not, if you have a Home Again microchip with their premium service, then you get FREE calls to a 24/7 emergency vet line, with access to the poison control database -- they can pull up the med, and check to see if his dose was within the known safe range. Some emergency vets will also answer questions like this by phone, at no charge -- but not all do.

#7 ·
You can probably call the local ER and ask. Most likely outcome is GI upset. I would just carry on with regular dosing though. Don't skip a dose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.