German Shepherds Forum banner

Greenish crust on skin

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Henricus 
#1 ·
I just found this on my boy's back leg. I have no idea how long it's been there, but couldn't be that long. Initially I thought it was some dried up dirt that I missed after our play session, so I just tried to scrap it of. I soon enough noticed that it wasn't dirt, but was stuck to his skin. I did open the wound a bit.

I looked around the internet, but couldn't find much. My vet is closed at this hour and I don't it's such an emergency for me to call the evening vet.
I hope some of you recognize what this is. I hope it's nothing serious..

His skin in between his toes is a bit pink. Probably nothing to do with this, but other than that he seems perfectly healthy without any spots or bumps.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
"Green" is sometimes a sign of infection.

If you cannot get to your vet, I would gently soak the spot first to remove the "crusting". Either with warm water or mix some Providone-Iodine Purchased at a Pharmacy or Health Food Store: Put several drops into 1 or 2 ounces of purified water making it the color of medium strong tea.

Apply one of the above several times with a clean cloth or cotton until crust soften.

Then, you can then apply Colloidal Silver (several times per day until healed) or an item of your choice that combats infection that can be used on dogs.

Moms:)

#3 ·
@Momto2GSDs
Thanks for you message!
I can get to my vet, but not today as it is evening here. I will call them tomorrow. I was slightly worried if this was a skin condition.

I do not have anything at home that combats infection, so it's probably better for me not to remove the crusting.
Can this "crusting" be the result of a wound?

#6 ·
@Momto2GSDs

Just came from the vet. She scraped most of the "crusting" off with a small metal comb and said it was just a small wound, nothing to worry about. She said the wound will heal automatically, I didn't have to apply anything. Hope she's right. :)

This is how it looks now:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.