German Shepherds Forum banner

Despite clean X rays, still limping

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  wolfy dog 
#1 ·
I am just throwing the following out here, hoping someone has a brilliant idea. Cam, my Rough Collie, intact male, has healed from HOD. X rays no longer showed abnormalities, elbows are good. However, he is still limping on one front leg, his wrist joints on both his front legs are stiff and cannot bend back to the leg very well. The vet is puzzled as is the osteo vet. His back and spine are in good shape, no pain there, according to the osteo. Cam is now 14 months. I am going to try acupuncture next week, see if that works. Limping is not related to any level of exercise. It doesn't seem to affect him as he is active, happy and tons of fun.
Both my dogs get a small amount of Orijen, Acana etc in the AM and their main raw meal in the PM.
????? Any input appreciated.

#2 ·
Hi Wolfy!
I would find a certified Chiro who does AK (Applied Kinesiology) during the chiro visit and then does TENS along with the acupuncture to stimulate the acupuncture points. This works GREAT for our boy! Several weekly sessions of these 3 things combined may just be the ticket for your boy!

I would also consider Laser Therapy or Therapeutic Ultra Sound. These may be another avenue of healing.

Moms:)

#8 ·
HOD affects the upper legs, right? So maybe due to that all the pressure(weight shift)would be put on the lower leg? Kinda like if they have dysplasia they put more weight on the front part of body. I would do Chiro and acupuncture to see if that helps.

#9 ·
I just looked this up. No experience with the disease but it causes inflammation around the growth plates and possible resulting bony changes?

Your vet has looked for bone spur that could have been caused by the inflammation? The xrays show that the HOD is gone BUT xrays won't show soft tissue inflammation or damage to soft tissue, only bone changes from the inflammation, so I'm guessing that the soft tissue are still inflamed or the tendons/ligaments are tight.

Does that make sense? Just going on my own experience with tissue damage and other issues from my own dogs that had inflammation in joints/tissue.

Have you talked with a canine physical therapist? Debbie Gross is in CT and maybe could do a phone consult? Or direct you to someone in your area?

#12 · (Edited)
His rehab vet (DVM CCRT) thinks it might still be a lingering inflammation from the HOD and to give it time. I have decided to give the acupuncture a try to support the healing including turmeric over his food twice a day.
To LLombardo: HOD is in the wrists, at least Cam's was. Elbows are looking good, no ED.
The good thing is that he is a very happy, uncomplicated dog and he and Deja are the best buddies I could have asked for. That's why I am willing to go to the bottom of this.

#16 ·
If it's not another issue like tick illness, I'd just wait and see.

Unless my dogs shows other signs (like fatigue or not eating) or I have reason to be concerned about another illness particularly a tick illness, I'll rest a sore dog, give him or her anti-inflammatories, and wait and see. Of course, I'll check the dog over for cuts, punctures, or other obvious issues, but I won't just rush a limpy dog to the vet.

I know I don't have the money to spend on an MRI for a dog because- what then is the solution? So the dog has a torn muscle, say, what then? Probably rest, anti-inflammatories and time. If the Dx is far more costly than the treatment, I'd just treat and wait and see.

Just my two cents. And even if you have doggy health insurance, an MRI is a fairly involved procedure and carries risks that to me wouldn't be worth it for this issue.

To add, for those who might be reading, a test (snap or titer and/or PCR) for tick illness is NEVER a bad idea if you have any reason for concern. I've had two dogs get extremely ill from tick illness, so I am not at all advocating for "at home" treatment for any suspected tick disease.

#17 ·
The weird thing is that exercise or rest doesn't make a difference. I am giving acupuncture a try and if that doesn't work, will consider the NSAIDs. I draw the line at the MRI. If nothing works, I may consider keeping him and deal with a limpy dog. Months ago I planned on rehoming him to a calm home if he didn't recover but it has been that long now, that I just cannot give him up anymore. He is too much fun, has an incredible temperament and becoming quite beautiful. Deja and him get along great as well.

#19 ·
Dysplasia would show up in an xray. CT scans and MRI's are very expensive.

WD - just from my personal experience, it takes a long time for soft tissue to heal. If your vet thinks it's residual swelling, AND we are going into winter which always makes everything worse, I would opt for PT for him. Swimming may help. A program designed to strengthen slowly may help. From my experience, you have to work thru the stiffness with stretching and light weights to build the muscles back and get the inflammation out.

#21 · (Edited)
I have insurance on him. His entire pedigree is free form HD and ED and it didn't show up on the x rays so it must be soft tissue. Will see what acupuncture and mild exercise will do for the next few weeks.
Healthy Paws insurance has been amazing, so glad that I out him on it before anything was wrong.
I would recommend insuring any puppy for its first year at least. It has paid off multiple times already. I wish they could me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.