German Shepherds Forum banner

Osteo-Arthritis traced in our 4 month old Puppy

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Anubis_Star 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this incredibly resourceful website. I'm from India and its so amazing to be a part of this wonderful forum. Its been a lifelong aspiration to have a GSD in the family and we got Rio home in August. I really wish I could start a post with something happy and uplifting but today we faced a problem that has left all of us quite upset and anxious.

Our Rio is a charming little fella who weighs about 19 kgs and is about 4.5 months old to this date. For all his wonderful features, we were always worried about a distinct niggle in the hind legs when it came to running or walking on the field. Also, he has an inclination to lean his body towards the left or right leg when sitting down. After couple of X-rays and a month of supplements (we use Bea-phar Bone-Builder and Vendisc (Indian brand) we learnt that Rio has slight osteoarthritis in both his hind leg joints. Our Vet analysed Rio and his reports and confirmed.

The Vet has recommended increasing the doses of the Calcium supplements along with a 4 week course of Arachitol Injection to curb the problem before it lingers on or worse, accentuates into something larger. My concern is Rio's age and the strength of the recommended Vaccine, along with all the associated side-effects. Is there no way we can bypass the vaccine or are there some good quality supplements we should be using for him. Also, is this is too unnatural for such a small little guy.

We request all your help and guidance and perspectives please :crying::crying: Many many thanks.

Thanks a lot,
Sunny and Rio

P.S. I can share videos or photos, if required.

See less See more
#6 ·
Hello

I have enclosed his X-ray photos of Hip and Left Leg. Also, enclosed a picture of the supplements and the contents within that we've been giving him based on the doc's advise.

Enclosed a photo of RIO when he sometimes leans his weight on his right or left leg. Its not a very flattering picture, because he looks so much more amazing otherwise.

#8 ·

Hello, sorry about that. Still finding my feet here. I hope you can see the pictures now. If not, I really have to see how to get them here. Also, we feed RIO the Hills Starter Pack for Puppies. That's lamb and rice flavor.

Those are x-rays of his hip and left leg and I have shared photos and compositions of the supplements prescribed by the vet, which we have been feeding him for the last 1 month. I have added a photograph of him leaning his weight on the right foot, he does this on both his feet alternatively.

If required, I can record and upload a video of his movement too, for more clarity.

Thanks a ton,
Sunny

Attachments

#9 ·
arthritis is what causes the pain associated with hip dysplasia, so yes a young pup with extremely dysplastic hips could already be showing some arthritic changes.

Are there specialty vets in India? More importantly, surgery and/or physical rehab? Those would be the ones I would be wanting to see.

Would be very worried about too much calcium. I have NEVER seen that recommended as a treatment.

Can't comment on the supplements, not familiar with them. In America, Dasequin Advanced is now the gold standard. As far as injection, Adequan is really good, and is actually recommended in puppies because it helps with cartilage formation in joints as they grow and develop. The healthier the cartilage in joints, the less stress on the joint, and then you have decreased arthritic formation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.