German Shepherds Forum banner

Temaril P, antihistamines, itchy/flaky skin

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  kid602 
#1 ·
Hi everyone

My girl seems to have seasonal allergies as she flared up the same exact time as last year. Her skin gets flaky and she gets some rashes on her belly. The vet prescribed Mal-a-ket antibacterial shampoo and also Temaril-P. As always, I did my research when i got home before giving her anything.

I am ok using the shampoo, as it doesnt seem harmful. However, after reading up on the side effects of Temaril-P (mainly vomiting/diarrhea), I do not feel comfortable giving her that, especially if its only a short term fix. I dont think her itching is that bad that she needs a steroid. She does scratch/lick herself maybe a bit more than usual, but definitely not excessive to the point that she bleeds.

I am considering using benadryl or zyrtec instead, any preference between the two? Anything else I can give her to reduce the flaking? Any advice is much appreciated, thanks!

#3 · (Edited)
I do not feel comfortable giving her that, especially if its only a short term fix. I dont think her itching is that bad that she needs a steroid.

I am considering using benadryl or zyrtec instead, any preference between the two?

Anything else I can give her to reduce the flaking?

If you are not comfortable with that, then I would be uncomfortable with giving steroids, which are a vicious circle that only "covers up" the problem.
"Steroids / Cortisones are used many times for many different illness/disease, the reason for using them is to reduce inflammation and swelling only, they do not heal the animal. They work by suppressing the body's immune system not healing the body of the disease or illness! Inflammation and swelling are a normal part of the body's immune response. ..... Steroids do not cure anything, they only suppress the symptoms and drive them deeper within the system." Diana Hayes DIHom

"Steroids (also called prednisone, cortisone or the nondescript “allergy shot”) are the least optimal treatment choice, as they work by suppressing your pet’s immune system. Steroids actually turn the immune system off, which improves the symptoms remarkably fast but doesn’t address the root issue of why your pet’s immune system is over-reacting in the first place. Not only can steroids have a negative effect on your pet’s liver, adrenal glands and kidneys, but suppressing your pet’s immune system with steroids also allows for opportunistic yeast and bacteria to grow on your pet’s skin, sometimes increasing the chances that antibiotics may be prescribed."
"Steroid medications are serious business for animals. They inhibit several normal GI processes and also suppress the immune system, allowing opportunistic disease-causing pathogens to colonize. Vets often use a different term for steroids, such as an “anti-inflammatory” shot or pill. I recommend you ask that your pet’s records to be marked with the words, “No steroids without owner’s consent” -- or your vet could prescribe them without your knowledge. " Mercola Healthy Pets

I have used Benedryl, and others on here have used Zyrtec too.
How much Benadryl should I give?
The standard dosage for oral Benadryl is 1 mg per pound of body weight, given 2-3 times a day. Most drug store diphenhydramine tablets are 25 mg, which is the size used for a 25 pound dog. Always double check the dosage before giving an over the counter medication. In addition, many formulations are combined with other medications such as Tylenol so make sure Benadryl tablets contain only diphenhydramine."

If you want to go the "Natural" route, you can use Quercetin which is referred to as "Nature's Benedryl". Bromelain and Papin, increase the absorption of Quercetin. If these are "seasonal" next year begin these supplements a few weeks BEFORE the season starts.;)

Here are two Human Products. Below the products is the calculation dosage for dogs.
Quercetin: http://www.pureformulas.com/quercetin-300-60-vegetarian-capsules-by-allergy-research-group.html
Bromelain/Papain: https://www.pureformulas.com/bromelain-papain-60-tablets-by-seroyal.html
Dosage Calculation:
Divide your dog’s weight by 125. For example: 40/125 = .32. Multiply the recommended dosage by this number: For example: 3 tablets, twice per day. 3 X .32 = .96.
Rounding the final number a bit, the dosage of this supplement for a 40 lb. dog would be 1 tablet, 2x per day.

My favorite products are Feed Sentials! ALL human grade/whole food products!
There is a Digestive Enzyme/Probiotic (Sunday Sundae) and an oil mix (Sh-emp Oil) of Herring, Hemp and Coconut which can help your dogs skin.
Sunday Sundae: Sunday-Sundae-12oz
Sh-emp Oil: SH-EMP OIL Nutritional oil

Hope this helps!
Moms:)

#4 ·
Thank you - that was a very helpful post!
We're having a very similar issue with our girl too - I've been giving her Benedryl and changed her diet. I have read about Sunday Sundae but had no idea what it was - thanks for including the link!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.