German Shepherds Forum banner

First Heat Help!

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  astrovan2487 
#1 ·
My 10 mo is in her first heat cycle and she's a heavy bleeder (yay) I bought a washable diaper for her and it is not working well at all. The pad doesn't catch the blood and it's all ending up around her tail. I'm not sure what to do. I don't particularly want to go the disposable route because I'm trying to be environmentally friendly. Does anyone have a better solution. I might just get a pen and keep her in there the next few days till this is over. Today is day 10 of her cycle and I'm praying it won't be much longer. The smell absolutely horrible.

#6 · (Edited)
I like the idea of uses boys' size boxers! The female dog diapers are not only expensive, but they don't stay in well. Our elderly female pug had to wear them for quite awhile near the end of her life, and they really slip off! The problem with using a child's pull-up and cutting a hole for the tail is that they are usually filled with absorbent pellets or other material that is incredibly messy and dangerous if the dog ingests it!

#3 ·
If you change your mind about disposable ones, I find that the large children's overnight diapers work great. You just cut a hole for the tail. I use a safety pin to keep it snug. It was the best solution. It kept the mess in and those diapers are much cheaper than the ones made for dogs. My girl was fine wearing them. I didn't trust her alone with them on for obvious reasons. (She would likely chew at them and eat them) I put the cone around her neck when I couldn't watch her or when she was alone. She was too messy to stick her in her crate or regulate her to an area. I tried that and it was a disaster.

#4 ·
Thank you both for your replies.

As much as I don't want to I think I have to go the disposable route. She's making way too much of a mess with the washable diaper. I will definitely try human diapers the dog specific ones are way too expensive. Any suggestions on size? She's a smaller girl.

#9 ·
I feel your pain, my girl just ended her first heat at about 10 months old too. Had all the bad side effects. She bled just about all of the 21 days so be prepared for that possibility. I bought a few 5 packs of boys under ware at walmart I think they were size 8 , cut out a tail hole and just had them on her at night when she sleeps in the bedroom. My house is mostly hardwood and concrete so just put up the rugs and cleaned as I saw messes. Buy a bunch of lysol wet wipes. If you have rooms with carpet maybe just get a baby gate and restrict her to the non carpet rooms. The smell got so bad I was worried it was an infection so my vet gave her a round of antibiotics, smell went away almost immediately. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.