German Shepherds Forum banner

Red clustered bumps in ears, 2 yr old GSD. What could it be?

17K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Momto2GSDs 
#1 ·
Hello!

Abut two weeks ago, I noticed my GSD Laila, had red ears that were hot to the touch as well as red spots all over her body. I was told by my vet to go ahead and give her some Benadryl until I could bring her in. Her body eventually cleared up but her ears developed a rash sort of.

Took her to the vets and they prescribed prednisone after ruling out ear mites and ear infection. After week 1 of prednisone the ears were clearing up just fine. I am currently in week two of prednisone and just three days ago they got bumpy rash-like again.

I plan on making another appointment with the vet, but wanted to see if there is anything I can do to bring some relief to Laila's ears! Or if anyone can provide some insight on what I'm dealing with? Many thanks!

Here is the initial reaction Laila had:

Here is the reaction Laila has currently:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Keeping a diary may help in your deductive investigation. When Nitro was younger a skin condition cleared up when he stayed at a pet resort, where he swam every day and had 2 beach excursions in a week. (Unexpected free bonus!) With Nitro, it was seasonally related to his environment.

#7 ·
anti microbial topical treatment --- vetericyn -- coconut oil , mane n tail Protect
The above: MUCH better options than steroids!

Benedryl (internal) for itching
Per petmd.com
How much Benadryl should I give? The standard dosage for oral Benadryl is 1 mg per pound of body weight, given 2-3 times a day. Most drug store diphenhydramine tablets are 25 mg, which is the size used for a 25 pound dog. Always double check the dosage before giving an over the counter medication. In addition, many formulations are combined with other medications such as Tylenol so make sure Benadryl tablets contain only diphenhydramine.

Other "natural" products External
Organic, Raw, Apple Cider Vinegar, found in health food stores (NOT GNC)
Healing Skin Care for Hot Spots, Itching, Dermatitis and Crusty Noses.
Chigger Block -
Natural Flea & Tick Control Solutions They also carry healing lotions & yard sprays.

Steroids only cover up the problem....does not FIX the problem!
Note that you cannot just stop steroids.
Side effects of steroids:
Prednisone Side Effects in Dogs

Hope this problem gets resolved for your dog!
Moms:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.