German Shepherds Forum banner

Gagging when drinking water

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  shadepiece 
#1 ·
My GSD puppy has been dry heaving after drinking water for a few days now. Initially I wasn't to worried because, he still eats fine, has had normal stool, still very playful, doesn't seem to have any discomfort, and generally has no other issues.

I am beginning to worry though because, this has persisted for a few days now. Worse in the mornings, but still happens around dinner feeding. Occasionally when this happens he will produce a small amount of clear bile, but nothing solid ever comes up.

Any light that could be shed here would be appreciated.

-shadepiece

#2 ·
Take him to the vet. It is impossible to reliable diagnose a medical problem over the internet. Your pup could have symptoms you aren't even noticing or you are misinterpreting. Puppies can go from fine to very ill super fast. Call your vet. If possible take his temperature to see if it is elevated. Normal is 101 to 102.5 degrees Fahrenheit.

#3 ·
Could be he's drinking too much and too fast at those particular times.Try putting just an inch of water in his bowl in the morning and at dinner time and see if that helps.

#5 ·
take the dog in for an examination ---

like this ?

dog much too heavy and in poor condition , and wearing collar and harness which are too tight and cut in to him.

so the gagging could be kennel cough or the dog may even have a hernia which will have a gag reflux action when pressure is put on the vagus nerve.

#6 ·
That video is sad. That dog deserves better. It seems like more of a cough than a gag like was in the video, and it's very rare anything comes up when he does cough/gag.

I do not keep a collar on him in the house, and he is far from overweight. He does like to lick dirt in the backyard though. I looked at his stool, and it appeared to contain some dirt. I have kept a very sharp eye on him, and he hasn't been in the dirt as much. Far less gagging/coughing today, which is a relief.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.