German Shepherds Forum banner

Bunny Hop?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Dainerra 
#1 ·
What age should i start to worry about the bunny hop? My four month old is slightly cow hocked and bunny hops when he runs but doesn't seem to be having any other issues...no pain, difficulty walking, getting up, etc. I understand that the hop might be general puppy "un-coordination" but at what age should this go away if it's just puppy goofiness?

#3 ·
Hi Wolfy. Knowing the issues these dogs can have i'm a bit of a worry wort so i've asked discussed it with his vet before and she said that his hips felt good. He actually got his last vaccine Friday and she felt them again. Like i said, there are no other signs, and he's still young (19 weeks today). I just know the bunny hop could be symptomatic.

#5 ·
Bunny hop by itself means absolutely nothing. Many many healthy dogs bunny hop their entire lives. Many dogs with horrible hips can have beautiful fluid movements their entire lives.

If you want to do it for your peace of mind, you can have prelims done through OFA at 6 months. Or you can have PennHip done now, if you have a local certified vet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.