German Shepherds Forum banner

Pannus: has anyone ever moved to lower elevation and Pannus disappeared?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Deetles 
#1 ·
Just curious. We moved to a location with much higher elevation, and one of our dogs got Pannus. We are set to move back to the previous location (lower elevation) and I'm hoping that the Pannus will disappear over time? Or is it something where once you have it, you have it and nothing will make it go away for good? She is currently on eye ointment care and it's decreasing/keeping it from spreading. I want it gone for good if possible. Fingers crossed.

#2 ·
My dog also has pannus and I do not live at a high elevation. From what my vet told me, it is a chronic disease that requires medication for the dog's lifetime. That is not to say, that it cannot improve. So, hopefully in your case, your dog's pannus will improve but he will still need the medication.

#3 ·
Thanks for the help. I know GSDs are prone to this more than other breeds, but I've also researched and found this info:

1. An increased incidence in certain breeds (German Shepherd dog, Greyhound, Labrador Retriever, and Border Collie) suggests a genetic predisposition.
  2. Ultraviolet radiation and high altitude increase the severity of the disease; therefore, dogs living at high altitudes and very sunny areas are often more severely affected with the disease that is more difficult to control. It is most common in the desert southwest and the Rocky Mountain States.
  3. Immunological factors are believed to contribute. Pannus is considered a form of an autoimmune disease, in which the body directs an inappropriate immune response against the tissues of the cornea.
So I'm thinking that moving to higher elevation triggered this and is causing it to spread more rapidly, and once we move back down to lower elevation, it will slow or cease to grow. We had no issues with it until we moved to this much higher elevation location.

#4 ·
My dog has pannus & I give her the ointment 1x/day. We live in Illinois. I try to keep her out of the sun during peak sun hours 10am-2pm. It's hard cuz she LUVS to be outside & begs constantly to go out. I don't think you will be able to completely get your dog off the meds but you may be able to decrease how often you have to give it to him/her. I'm not a vet but I don't think Pannus is an "acute" disease. I know giving the drops isnt always fun but I always give my girl a treat after she gets a drop in each eye. At this point I think she looks forward to it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.