Itchy Red Irritated Paws - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Itchy Red Irritated Paws

Poor guy has been biting at his back feet.

I gave his feet a soak in a chlorhexidine solution, Dried them with a hair dryer on cool, and put a little aloe vera gel on (fresh from the plant).

I went ahead and ordered some vetericyn from amazon same day shipping so I should have that by this evening.

Anything else I should do? I'm hoping this is just some sort of contact dermatitis fluke and will clear up with no reoccurrence. If it doesn't then I guess it is off to the vet for a culture then allergy testing *sigh*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 06:45 AM
Crowned Member

My golden gets that and every now and then-he is allergic to grass. I tried those silly boots, but that didn't work. There isn't much I can do about the grass. I keep fur shaved on the pads, clean with Apple cider vinegar and dry well. Sometimes I put a cortisone cream or vetericyn on there. I'm going to try collodial silver too.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 06:52 AM
Elite Member

Rosko gets that way if he eats chicken. Talking to the people he came from they said his mother gets this on her paws also.. He said the quickest thing he found to clear it up is turpentine oil. TURPENTINE OIL: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD I have never tried it since I just avoid all chicken. but he says it clears Duchess up over night.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 08:09 AM

I put the cone on my boy while dealing with the ichies to prevent further biting. Especially at night when I can't keep my eyes on him. It helps a lot in the healing process.

With my guy, it seems that the healing process is itchy in and of itself.

This last lick wound bout was on his back but when I was checking him out, I noticed a strong cornflake like oder on his paws. I gave him a chlorhexidine bath (used the cone to keep it out of his eyes) but after I used the vetericyn locally.

I hope he responds quickly. The itchies make them feel so miserable.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 08:30 AM
Crowned Member

Possible he got in contact with some pesticides or allergic to grass or something he came into contact with. Sounds like yeast infection/allergy a vicious cycle. A few weeks our chihuahua walked through tall weeds/grass he was scratching licking biting and created some hot spots. We bathed him washed what was irritating off him. We put vetrocin on him nothing really helped just got worse through the week. He started walking weird and did not want to go outside. His already immune system was already triggered. We did take him to the vet a cortisone shot and some anti inflammatory he was so much better the next day. No issues since then.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 08:50 AM
Crowned Member

no to turpentine oil https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002746.htm
especially for this dog who will snuffle or lick his feet .

I would immerse the feet (one at a time) in a saturated epsom salt foot bath , add lavender (antibacterial) if you wish, or a foot soak with betadine / iodine . Dry the feet and give a spritz of the vetericyn or Mane and Tail PROTECT Pro-Tect Topical Skin & Wound Spray Treatment - The Original Mane 'n Tail ? Animal Care

don't apply salves after -- keep feet clean and dry

the discolouration is likely from his licking

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 09:15 AM
Crowned Member

We used Betadine also but only seconds of relief. The e collar is also most important it will not heal if he keeps chewing at paws. If no better then take him to a vet. I just wished I did this right away ended the itching right away by going to the vet.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 10:55 AM

On the outside chance you're not dealing with a food or other chronic allergy, here's a possibility..... We went through an itchy-foot saga with our cattledog. She would chew and chew and chew until they'd get raw.... after trying a diet change and a few other topicals, we eventually figured out that the small bug bites from the lawn (chiggers/no-see-ums/sand fleas/sweat flies/call them what you will) irritate her like crazy. The same things that make some of us itch if we sit in tall grass in shorts.

She now gets her belly & underside sprayed with Wondercide, and if she's going to be in tall grass or outside at a park or in the sand, she gets a thin coat of SWAT (https://www.amazon.com/Farnam-Repell.../dp/B00061MSIA) rubbed on her paws. I keep a jar of SWAT around for the farm animals during fly season, and figured I'd try it on the dog. Bingo.

No more problems. It's definitely seasonal, the problem doesn't even exist most of the year, just during mid- and late summer (now).
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thank you for the suggestions everyone.

I don't have any betadine or lavender but I did make him a foot bath with some rooibos and chamomile tea which definitely seems to have soothed him a bit. Doesn't look as angry red as earlier. Same thing as before dried the area well. I called his vet and she advised benedryl until I bring him in.

I'm not looking forward to figuring out the cause. He's raw fed and I just stocked up the freezer - if it ends up being a food allergy I might just cry.

No itchiness anywhere else on his body. It's just the back feet, the front don't seem to be bugging him at all, i imagine if it were an environmental reaction those front feet would be just as itchy? He's been chewing his nails as well as the licking.

He's been "off" for a couple weeks now. Off his feed, clingy, seperation anxiety. I was thinking it was just grief due to the death of the older dog but now I am wondering if something else is wrong.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoolamb View Post
Thank you for the suggestions everyone.

I don't have any betadine or lavender but I did make him a foot bath with some rooibos and chamomile tea which definitely seems to have soothed him a bit. Doesn't look as angry red as earlier. Same thing as before dried the area well. I called his vet and she advised benedryl until I bring him in.

I'm not looking forward to figuring out the cause. He's raw fed and I just stocked up the freezer - if it ends up being a food allergy I might just cry.

No itchiness anywhere else on his body. It's just the back feet, the front don't seem to be bugging him at all, i imagine if it were an environmental reaction those front feet would be just as itchy? He's been chewing his nails as well as the licking.

He's been "off" for a couple weeks now. Off his feed, clingy, seperation anxiety. I was thinking it was just grief due to the death of the older dog but now I am wondering if something else is wrong.
Is poison ivy or hogweed/wild parsnip a possibility in your area? That's the only thing I've ever dealt with where it affected a few paws but not the others. I hope you get some answers and evidence soon.

Last edited by WIBackpacker; 08-23-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page