German Shepherds Forum banner

Dwindling Options-Anal Gland Infection

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  llombardo 
#1 ·
So, Varik had a really nasty infection in his left gland. The vet put him on an antibiotic. Two weeks later and it wasn't any better really. He switched to Baytril. Two weeks later and we cultured it. Was told it was sensitive to Simplecef (and a couple of others, can't remember), but not to any of the ones they would normally use.

We have been on Simplecef for over 6 weeks now. When he went in two and a half weeks ago, there was exudate still but not a lot and no blood. We went back for recheck last Friday, and there was no exudate, but a good bit of blood. Ugh!

The vet spoke with the internist at the lab and she said she had had some luck with adding doxycycline and a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory. So now, he's taking 3 meds for the next week and then I guess we'll check to see if it helps. That was option a. Option b is surgery - anal sacculectomy.

I'm at my wit's end with it, not to mention that we've now spent over $900 and he's still not well! Being on antibiotics for so long also doesn't really help your output (if you know what I mean), which exacerbates everything.

Comments? Suggestions? Depressing. :(

See less See more
#2 ·
When mine had an infected gland, my vet at the time said that oral antibiotics don't get to it properly, because it is encapsulated (like an abscess), I am paraphrasing from like 4 years ago....

At any rate, what she did was express it and infuse it was an antibiotic solution directly into the gland. Some kind of little syringe with a tiny rubber tip, inserted into the opening of the gland. 1 week later same thing. No oral antibiotics and no reoccurance. The dog absolutely hated it, but it worked,

#3 ·
No suggestions:( Just wanted to sympathize with you.How frustrated you must be!I sorta know how you feel after struggling for months with my last shepherd's epi.Trying your best to help them and it's one step forward two steps back.It does really get you down.

#4 ·
Yeah, get a second opinion at another vet or hospital. :( My vet is really big on "let's try this for a week or so, if that doesn't work we'll try this other thing, and then..." I like my vet for routine stuff, but after them doing that to my pup (who ended up at an emergency hospital and subsequently was cured overnight) and my cat (who should've been referred to a cardiologist, but died in the vet's care after them stopping her heart meds) I will always, always take my sick animals to my local animal hospital.

#5 ·
What Cowboysgirl said. My guy had his anal glands infused with antibiotic gel after two unsuccessful rounds of abx. He was mildly sedated so the vet could hit the right spot. That was 6 years ago, never a problem since.

#6 ·
My vet has mentioned the infusion .. however, from the way he talks it would be more like a daily thing (like a round of antibiotics) and I would have to do it at home. Eh ,, I'm not sure I could do that on my own and my husband works out of town for most of the week.

#7 ·
Ask the vet to clarify that. From what I know of it, the infusion is done once or twice. My vet said he would have two tries and if that wasn't successful then surgery was the next choice.

#10 ·
Mine had the infusion. The third time I decided to have the anal gland removed. She was under anesthesia and the surgery just started when they noticed it was still infected. They stopped the surgery because of that. Oddly enough she has not had an issue since then. If you opt to do the surgery make sure the infection is completely gone first.

#11 ·
I remember your saying that and asked the vet about it (because hey .. we haven't gotten him well YET and this has been going on since April) and he said he didn't think it would be an issue 'because the reason they are having the operation is because there is an issue with the gland' ... yeah .. IF we get to the point of talking to a surgeon .. I'll be finding the answer out for myself!

#12 ·
The infection should be clear, then the surgery so it doesn't happen again. It makes sense. It's just like a tooth that is infected--they wait for the infection to go away then they pull the tooth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.