German Shepherds Forum banner

Degenerative Myelopathy Research

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  carmspack 
#1 ·
Let me first extend greetings to all, and special empathy to those dealing with DM. I had a GSD die from this disease a couple of years ago. I did a lot of research on DM and I want to offer some of what I learned, because there is a lot of valid research being done and we do know some things. One of the premier researchers is Dr. Joan Coates at the University of Missouri. Please consider avoiding Clemmons and his advice since he has done no credible research.
DM is a preventable disease. The SOD1 gene, if defective, and if a dog receives the defective gene from both parents, will almost certainly result in DM if the dog lives long enough and does not die from another cause. For $65 anyone can have a simple test done (OFA, Orthopedic Foundation of America is one place to order it) that will determine if the dog has two abnormal mutations. If the dog has only one abnormal gene, he/she is a carrier and according to current research will almost certainly not get DM.
There are obvious implications here for breeders and the fact that they are largely being ignored, in the rare instances where the breeders are even aware of the test, is inexcusable.
DM is preventable but unfortunately not yet curable. Dr. Coates and others continue to research this disease, and more is being learned all the time.
What we can do: Check out the current reliable research being done. If you are considering a breeder, look for those who test for DM and who breed accordingly. If your dog has symptoms of DM, such as dragging the back feet, consider ordering the DM test kit. This does NOT definitively diagnose DM, but it will tell you if your dog has two abnormal SOD1 genes, which increases the likelihood of DM.
If you would like more links to research, or have any other concerns and would like to PM me, please do so! Until a cure is found, DM can at least be prevented.
Susan

See less See more
#2 ·
I also lost one to DM, it's tough to watch and it changed me to go through it. My condolences.
I am heartened however to find that while some dispute the validity of current testing, most good breeders in the US are at least willing to use it as a tool. Canada seems a bit behind the times, but things are changing. With all the health concerns facing this breed I am not surprised that this is a slow shift. As one breeder stated on her FB page, of all the diseases a GSD could get DM at least affects older dogs and is painless. This tells me she hasn't seen it happen. Lucky woman.
Don't be to quick to judge, there are many breeders who care and all we can do is keep promoting education and research.
What annoys me is the vets who give desperate people false hope or misinformation. That is a much bigger concern for me. The ones who tell people that their dogs HAVE DM. So wrong. And even crueler, that they can stop or cure it with treatment after treatment.

#3 ·
while studying something else a fact was presented which now leads me to ask

does it matter who , which breeding partner is the carrier or the affected one .

cryptic question - but want to see what some answers might be or if this has even been considered.

genetic? again - maybe - maybe not

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.