German Shepherds Forum banner

Ideas, dog ill? Heading back to vet this morning-

619 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  GatorBytes 
#1 ·
July 16th my 2 GSDs and my daughters golden retriever all became ill within a a few hours of each other, they spend a lot of time together. Symptoms included runny nose and hacking cough. They were all obviously ill, but still eating and not overly lethargic so we waited until 1st thing Monday to call the vet.

The vet only wanted to see the sickest dog in the office and prescribed based on that dog's symptoms. I took the golden in as her cough was horrible. Vet thought either kennel cough or flu, leaning towards the flu. He prescribed Rilexin and cough tablets.

It wasn't until Friday that they began to improve, my 2 gsds never seemed to have to nearly as bad as the golden. Just a bit of a cough now and then.

But, beginning Friday, my 4 yo. female quit eating (she is very picky and it has been VERY hot here, so I initially wasn't overly concerned) and has become increasingly lethargic over the weekend, running a 103.7 temp. She looks obviously ill. The last she ate was Sat. eve. and I had to make a special meal (sm. amt. of egg, chicken broth, sardine, & cottage cheese) that I had to hand feed her. Since then she has refused all food, but is drinking water when offered, not seeking it out herself. She is urinating.

Any idea what this could be? Questions to ask the vet?? The antibiotics were finished yesterday. The other 2 dogs are fine now.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I would bring her into the vet right away like you are As she has a temperature and lethargic and not doing well. The antibiotics did not seem to work for her as well as it did for the other dogs. Is she still coughing? It's possible it could of been the heat to keep her off of her food but she also had more going on with her. Ask the vet if it possible the antibiotic could cause her not to eat as some do . Chest X-ray? Her temperature and the fact she is lethargic is a sign that something is still brewing. The fact she is not eating will only make her weaker.

#4 ·
https://www.drugs.com/vet/rilexine-chewable-tablets.html

Side effect of cephelaxin. The other two doing fine, one isn't and could be vulnerable to the drug.
Problem is the vet will either extend this script, or try another abx. But if it is virus, an antibiotic is useless...abx are for bacterial infections.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.