German Shepherds Forum banner

A couple of grapes cause for concern?

7K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Stonevintage 
#1 ·
My pup scored a few grapes off the coffee table, I had eaten most of a little bunch but left about 4 on the stem that were going a little soft. He is a little over 80lb. Enough to hurt him?

#2 ·
Yes. One grape can hurt him. Or it may take 40. That's the problem with grapes and raisins. There is no way to know. He needs to go the vet ASAP.

#5 ·
Mine got into some extra dark chocolate chips a couple of weeks ago. With those, there are actually charts online on ounces consumed per body weight and symptoms to watch for before it's cause to alarm and a trip to the vet.

Luckily she only ate about an ounce and was fine.

#7 ·
Good read Dotbat. So weird. In the 80s I remember feeding my GSD and lab a bunch of grapes because it was so funny what they did with them. Had no idea about toxicity, would never have guessed it and nothing happened and it was a lot of grapes.

#9 ·
Shepherdmom, my mother did that too for many years too with her cockapoo because she didn't know it was dangerous--that dog lived to 18! The problem from what I understand is that we can't know whether we have a dog that will have the toxic sensitivity, until the dog is in big trouble. When the reaction happens, the dog may already be at death's door going into kidney failure. It's a very mysterious thing as to why some dogs react and others seem not to.

Some dogs go into kidney failure pretty quickly -- and no one understands why. That's why the standard of care seems to be to treat all grape ingestion as a poisoning now.

This is Toxicology Brief from ASPCA-Poison Control is very helpful --http://www.aspcapro.org/sites/pro/files/q.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.