German Shepherds Forum banner

Post Spay Complications

4K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  Jupiter_0203 
#1 ·
Taking Layla back to the vet tonight ughhhhh. This is the 3rd visit since the spay. First she ripped the stitches (jumped on bed when I wasn't looking), then the cat scratched up her stomach, now it is bright red and leaking green ooze (pretty sure it's infected)

I am so over this I hate that I had to have spayed so early. 16 weeks is far to early for her to have been spayed.

#2 ·
Poor thing, sounds like an infection. Keep her on leash or crated unless you can stay within arms reach for a week or so until she's healed enough to have some freedom. Delgado was 3 weeks post neuter before he was allowed to run, 2 weeks everything looked good and he popped a stitch so back on rest he went for another week

#4 ·
Yes that sounds infected and a vet visit is the way to go. My female was slightly older when she was fixed(5 yrs ago and now I know more now), but I think a lot of it is the way the vet does the procedure. Robyns incision was about an inch long-I have never seen an incision so small. I actually called them about how small the incision was. Part of the reason I investigated it was because she wasn't acting like she was just fixed. No pain meds or anything. They also used dissolvable stitches if I remember right. The day after the surgery we went on an off leash walk in the woods. It wasn't fast paced or any jumping but you would never know she was spayed the day before. I wish all vets did the procedure like this, I have not found another in the area that is as good as that vet(he is about two hours away). I hope your girl heals quickly.

Reactions: MMcCoy
#5 ·
That is how her incision was and she was and still is acting fine and I think that is part of why we are having problems. I couldn't keep her down lol! I turn my back to load the dishwasher and she's jumping on crap ripping her stomach open.

She has to be spayed before 16 weeks per animal shelters regulations and it was just too early.

#6 ·
Oh I remember those days. I did things a little different because how active they are. When I said we went for an off leash walk the day after, I think that helped because it knocked her butt out. I tired her out in a calm manner before she could figure out how to amuse herself.

#8 ·
Normally a 4 month old spay goes really easy. If she is oozing green, it doesn't mean there is a total infection from the spay itself, but possibly she is reacting to the inside dissolvable sutures closing the second layer, not the outside layer.Because she is acting totally normal, I don't think its a system wide infection, rather a reaction to the inside sutures.
Will be curious what the vet says.

#10 ·
I think I'm going to wait a year to spay her. Too many articles I read that goes against early spays. My main concern lately has been the calcium deficiencies that go along with spaying. GSD need as much calcium as possible because of their bone and hip problems. I'm no doctor but thats just the way I see it.
I hope your dog gets better, sounds like she's been through a lot.

#12 ·
Hopefully whatever is wrong will be easily cured. Molly was spayed between 6-7 months, all went well. After reading these posts I think all went well because she was on sedatives so she had no ambition to run or jump or do much but rest. We did not have to crate her. So if the vet recommends additional activity restriction, see if the vet can give your dog something to keep her mellow.

#13 ·
I don't think what ever is going on is going to be too big of a deal because she isn't acting sick, and she isn't bothered when I touch it.

I will need definitely need something to keep her mellow!

#18 ·
Ok so it is an infection but her muscle wall is holding up well. He is very worried about a knot she has under the stitches.

On a happy note she licked the lady who sat next to us and only growled at the vet tech once! The once was after he had stuck the thermometer in her butt so I am giving her some leeway on that one

Attachments

#19 ·
Side question, how much did your pups weigh at 5 1/2 months? She's weighing in at 32. I know she is going to be on the small side because she was the runt of her litter (or from what I've seen of her siblings).

#22 ·
Get some empty cups and empty boxes, put a treat under maybe 8 out of 10, let her find the treat. Keep reducing the treats until your down to 1 out of 10. It will keep her in one place and keep her mind busy.

#24 ·
Hi MMcCoy! How is Layla now? My Jupiter was spayed when she was 10 weeks... :( When I heard I literally had tears but like you mentioned when we adopt that is the first thing they require. More so she was spayed when we met her, so the initial 10 days she had spent in the shelter. I hope Layla feels better and the incision heals well, god speed...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.