German Shepherds Forum banner

Did your dog remember being sedated?

728 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Castlemaid 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
I may have to get my dog sedated for treatment of a nasty ear infection soon, but I am worried that he will be somewhat conscious during the sedation (said by a vet nurse)
I don't want him to be averted to having his ears touched by me afterwards, because of the vet having to get in there.

So question is: DID your dog remember the experience at all? How conscious are they really?

(Note this is a sedation and not going under with general anaesthetic)

#2 ·
They are conscious but less aware. No one knows exactly what they remember, no way to know that. But if your dogs ears are so bad they need more than general ear meds, then I would be more worried about the discomfort she is living with fully awake and conscious every second of her life, than the 20 minutes of sedation and discomfort. Just saying.

Reactions: DutchKarin
#3 ·
They have what they call I believe twilight sedation. It's mild and they bring them out of it after the procedure. Is that what your talking about? They recommended it and I agreed to use this when Robyn tore her nail. They didn't want it to be a bad experience for her. She was completely done within a half hour, not really drowsy after either. That was a couple years ago and she has had no issues with the vet or with them trimming nails. I don't think she remembers or if she does it just didn't bother her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.