One litter before sterilization - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

One litter before sterilization

Is it beneficial to the female to let her have one litter before sterilization, if you're not going to breed her or just sterilize when she is 9 months old?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 05:17 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

There are no benefits to letting a female have a litter. Most people who plan to spay their females recommend waiting until maturity, 18-24 months. The hormones can be beneficial for developing bones and joints.

I usually wait until at least a few months after the first heat. Halo was 13 months old when we spayed her.

-Debbie-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 07:26 PM

No, I don't think there are any benefits to letting females have a litter. In fact, I would think there would be more health risks to a female if she does have a litter.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 08:29 PM
Crowned Member

Actually, having a litter is healthy, normal, and natural. There are dangers associated with schutzhund, agility, police work, SAR, but we do not suggest people not train their pooches.

I think a better answer is that many, by far the majority of bitches are spayed or are never bred, and they mature into awesome pets without any recognizable lack for not having whelped and raised a litter.

Breeders will probably tell you that their favorite bitches, are those that were bred and raised litters. Probably. Out of my many dogs most of whom have never been bred, I have one that has never been bred that I consider exceptional with respect to my group, and another that has been bred but has never whelped a litter -- also exceptional. But then, we choose to breed the best of the best, so, it is far more likely that we will favor those bitches who have whelped litters -- because we considered them a cut above before ever breeding them.

I do believe there is a change in bitches who have experienced whelping and raising a litter. How can you tell? She would have matured 4-6 months in either case. You cannot measure a bitch's temperament/maturity before pregnancy and after the pups are ready to go home and say, she has moved x maturity-units, and then go back to where she was before and measure again without having been bred.

You cannot take two littermates, and say, "See, Maggie had a litter and she has moved y maturity/temperament units more than Sophie who was not bred." It doesn't work that way, Maggie and Sophie have a different set of genes, even though they are littermates.

But, when you have groups of dogs, you can notice patterns. My bitches who have been bred and have whelped litters tend to fill out sooner, and hold their weight better than the bitches who remain intact, but have never been bred.

And there is a difference in how they mature. I never breed a bitch before 2 years, and some before they are 3-4 years, so they should already be at least young adults, or totally mature. But it adds a component that is hard to define when a bitch undergoes this.

Maybe it is akin to working through a sixteen week program for training and trialing a dog in a specific venue, where you work with a group, with the dog, every day. At the end of that program you are going to have both experienced something and be bonded in a different way.

Personally, I like to see a bitch interact with her puppies, both prior to 8 weeks and as they grow out. It is something missing with those that have never been bred. It is something I miss, the bitches themselves do not give any impression that have missed out on anything -- that is kind of a human trait/ attitude.

It is incredibly fun to watch a bitch that has not been bred play with a puppy too. But it is different. I watch closer and I will stop the session sooner, because it is a less-known quantity. Some bitches are awesome with their own puppies and not so great with others, others are awesome with all puppies. It is highly individual. I just trust a bitch who has had pups with a young pup (not hers)right off the bat, more than a bitch who has never experienced motherhood.

Of course the answer you will hear from everyone is not to breed for a number of reasons, not without merit. If every bitch pup were to throw just one litter of puppies, in 6 months our canine population will triple or quadruple, and that number would then triple or quadruple in another 6-12 months, and that number.... Within a short 3 years we would be slaughtering puppies like vermin.

And there are a lot of other reasons not to have a litter. It is not something to just do once, just because, and certainly not to do it simply because your pet might miss out on something if you don't.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah

Last edited by selzer; 03-18-2016 at 08:33 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 10:03 PM

Well, I just assumed there could be a risk of complications related to pregnancy, as there are with humans, but I'm not a breeder, so feel free to disregard anything I say. If I had a titled female, with health clearances, I imagine it'd be one of the most rewarding experiences ever to have a litter.

Last edited by sebrench; 03-18-2016 at 10:09 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 10:20 PM

(darn, ten minutes have passed so I can't edit my reply and I have to post a new message.)

I didn't mean to imply that no one should breed dogs, or that pregnancy was always harmful to a female. I got my Asher from a breeder after all. But I don't think a companion dog misses out from not being bred.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 10:31 PM
Crowned Member

I think, I actually said that. I said that the bitches who have never had pups do not seem to feel left out, feel as if they have missed out -- this is us anthropomorphizing our dogs.

And, I am not going to breed Hepzibah to put weight on her, though God knows nothing else has worked. Milla too, skinniest thing, until she hit six. Now at seven and almost eight she's tubby. Not altered. Never had puppies. It just seems that they tend to take forever to fill out unless they have been bred. Then they seem to carry the weight a lot better. And I think it makes sense that the body becomes accustomed to making full use of every ounce when you have eight puppies sucking for all their worth. When the puppies go, the bitch regains her initial strength and then some.

I just say it how I see it. People who haven't seen any differences are going to say it like they see it, and hopefully the OP gets the answers he needs to make his decision.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 11:08 PM
Crowned Member

Mistaken anthropomorphism, too.

I only spayed my 7 yo because she was having false pregnancies that were pretty awful. There are health benefits to leaving them intact and there are other advantages to spaying. None of my dogs have been bred.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page