German Shepherds Forum banner

Diana is sick.

5K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  kaustabh 
#1 ·
I brought Diana home when she was 38days old & now she is 51days old. She was a little underweight (5.5lbs) and did not eat much. Other than that she was quite active and played tug, and chased me in the house.

From the 46th day, she stopped eating and had loose, watery stool with mucus in it. I took her to the vet and he administered her subcutaneous saline and antibiotics. Also, shortly after, she started vomiting once a day. Ever since that day, she isn't eating anything. She isn't even taking water and has to be administered saline (now IV instead of subcutaneous) and antibiotics twice daily. Her stool has become less frequent and less watery now, and she hasn't vomited today (I am hoping that she doesn't vomit again). Also, she lies down all day and just walks a few steps or so when it's time for her to urinate.

The vet says that she had an infection in her (which explains her lack of appetite) which has now taken a bigger form.

I am worried sick (and haven't been sleeping much for the past few days) and she is visibly in a lot of pain. I hope she recovers soon.

Has this sort of thing happened to anybody else here? How long did it take untill complete recovery?

See less See more
#2 ·
Ugh - sounds like it could be parvo:
Parvo (Parvovirus) in Dogs: Symptoms, Prevention, and Treatment

Very serious and puppies are very susceptible to it. Take her back to the vet, have them test her for Parvo. Keep your puppy away from other dogs and other puppies, as it is highly contagious. She will need hospitalization at the vet and appropriate treatment to have a fighting chance.

Even if it isn't parvo, the diarrhea and vomiting and not eating is very serious. She may have some type of gastrointestinal infection that will need to be treated with anti-biotics. Take her back to the vet, have them test her for Parvo, and if that comes up negative, insist that they check for other possible infections. It's important that they find a reason for her being so sick so proper treatment can be administered.

I wish you good luck, you have reason to worry, this sounds like something serious.

Also, Kaustabh, it would be helpful if you could go into your User CP and added a general location (I believe you are in India?). It will show up below your avatar, under your join date, in the spot where my location says "Northern BC" Having your location there will help members give appropriate suggestions as we know that you may not have all the resources available to you that we here take for granted.

#3 ·
I dont know what is going on but if she is that weak where she can stand up and walk only go potty and not eating she should be hospitalized put on fluids. Is your pup able to drink if your pup vomits up the water and is not eating it is possible she swallowed something- only an xray can tell that. It is good idea to bring her to another vet since there has no sucess with your current vet. Im sorry you are going through this. I hope you get some answers that will help your pup.

#4 · (Edited)
Are you in the US???? It does sound like Parvo, and with aggressive in hospital treatment is often overcome.....

Please excuse me, but it looks like English is a second language, and maybe your vet's do not have the same resources ours here have....

I hope they can treat your puppy and she gets better.....some here have had Parvo pups and if they know your limitations, may be able to offer more applicable advice

good luck

Lee

#5 ·
The OP is in India. Not the US. Don't know what diseases are common over there. Sounds like awfully young to get the pup to start with. So sorry she's having so much trouble. Hope she turns around and beats this.
It's hard not knowing what is common in the area and if distemper is still common in dogs there, what vacinations have been given, etc. I would really be on the vet about this 'though.

#7 ·
Is there a product called pedialyte available??? I hear that it helps keep the pup hydrated through parvo...hope you can get some help there

Lee

#19 ·
I'm glad your pup is doing better. It is hard when they are so young. Any infection can affect them badly. Now to get some weight on her. Keep up the fluids as well as that does help them digest food easier. Try Pedialyte and possibly a little baby food to get her used to eating. Use only easy to digest food at first.

#28 ·
Diana is sick again :( And my peace of mind is gone again.

This time she is diagnosed with localised demodectic mange along with fungal infection. She has two bald patches in her coat.

She was diagnosed roughly two weeks back. Took her to the vet and he prescribed a topical antifungal.

From this week , the doc has asked to apply https://www.petsworld.in/petcare-ridd-15-ml.html to the affected areas twice a week.

Also, I have started giving her the best quality kibble that I could lay my hands on along with home made food.

At times, it looks like the bald patches have decreased and new hair is growing. At times, it looks like the bald patches have increased slightly.

Anything else that I can do on my part to accelerate the healing?

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

#29 ·
Demodex is a mite that most dogs have, and not a problem unless the immune system is compromised somehow. It generally goes away on its own in puppies -- immature immune system, with or without treatment. It takes some time though. If you have reason to believe the dog needs help fighting it off -- like added fungal infection, or previous prolonged illness, rough start. I think treating makes more sense than leaving the pup's system go and take care of it on its own.

But either way, you want to give supplements to the dog to help boost the immune system. Carmen -- Carmspack seems to have a lot of information about this and can point you in the right direction. Maybe some others, but I don't know how often they post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.