Recurring ear infection in one ear - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Recurring ear infection in one ear

Ledgie has been having a recurring ear infection in the same ear. He's been treated successfully each time BUT it keeps coming back. The other ear is okay.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I would assume if it were diet related or an allergy to his environment, both ears would be affected, not just the one???

Right now he's being treated using Osurnia (last Thursday was the first application, this coming Thursday will be the second application). He hasn't been scratching at it so I'm assuming it's working!!!

Do any of y'all have any ideas of what may be causing the problem?

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 03:40 PM
Elite Member

My Newlie had chronic ear infections from the time I got him until recently and his vet tried a new product on him (at no charge), a one dose ear medicine called Claro made by Bayer. No matter how many many times, I cleaned his ears, put in drops, gave him oral antibiotics, etc. I always got a lot of dark brown stuff out of his ears until the Claro. He is still doing more scratching than I like and I am thinking about some sort of flush, but no more brown stuff and his ears are not inflamed, so you might ask your vet about it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 04:02 PM
Knighted Member

It's super-important to have your vet send out a culture to test for antibiotic resistance. We had one in rescue who went through that same pattern--for years. Our rescue's vet sent out the culture and it came back as MRSP (the canine version of MRSA). There was only one, weird, rarely used antibiotic that worked on it according to the lab report -- it was resistant to the common drugs used to treat ear infections.

Our vet uses something called "Otopacks" in these cases -- it's a wax plug infused with whatever medicine the vet chooses. It will stay in the ear canal releasing meds for 2 weeks, then fall out on its own. This particular dog with the chronic infection needed two rounds of otopacks (4 weeks), and then she was cured for good.

She also benefited from a shift to a fish-and-sweet potato allergy food (Natural Balance LID), so I think there was an allergy component to it that the MSRP became secondary to. The infection is opportunistic getting into something that was already inflamed. Changing food wouldn't fix it once the infection is there, but it will take away the "inviting environment" that allows the staph to set up shop in the ear.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post

Our vet uses something called "Otopacks" in these cases -- it's a wax plug infused with whatever medicine the vet chooses. It will stay in the ear canal releasing meds for 2 weeks, then fall out on its own. This particular dog with the chronic infection needed two rounds of otopacks (4 weeks), and then she was cured for good.
Ledgie was diagnosed with a yeast infection in his right ear. This may be the stuff my vet used in Ledgie's ear last week ... she used some type of "plug" infused with his medication. The medication is called Osurnia and KNOCK ON WOOD so far no itching. We go back next Friday for his recheck. Elanco Launches Osurnia for Canine Ear Infections

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page