I gave Wolf Trifexis..and last night - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

I gave Wolf Trifexis..and last night

Last night (exactly 24 hours after having consumed the pill) he pooped 2 worms!?! what's going on?? One of them was moving a little bit but died within a minute. the other one never uncurled, appeared to be dead already. Wolf had a lot of fleas on him, and that's why the vet prescribed Trifexis. It was supposed to have killed all the biting fleas within 4 hours..but I found fleas on him still 20 hours later. then the worm poop.

I have sprayed all over my house and vacuumed several times..then sprayed again. I am using some Petco flea indoor spray that supposedly kills on contact.

So are the worms a good sign or bad? It's so gross haha

This morning he didn't have anything in his stool, and his stool is nice colored and hard, not runny at all.

shouldn't there be more worms?

sorry for anyone reading this who is as gross out as I am! poor dog, I hate that this is happening.

he is an indoor dog btw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 09:19 AM
Knighted Member

Sounds like he needs to be treated for worms! did you save them?

I personally would not use the Trifexis:
From Trifexis site: "Additional adverse reactions observed in the clinical studies were itching, decreased activity, diarrhea, inflammation of the skin, redness of the skin, decreased appetite and redness of the ear."

Reporter Jim Strickland from Atlanta has obtained the detailed clinical reports on the adverse events from Trifexis®. In its short life, (its been on the market for about 3 years) the drug has resulted in the following reports:
Emesis (vomiting): 23,360 number of times reported
Lethargy: 7,366
Lack of Efficacy: 5,707
Vomiting: 4,570
Ineffective, fleas: 2,870
Diarrhea: 2,468
Behavioral disorders: 1,448
Seizures: 1,363
Pruritis (defined as an unpleasant sensation of the skin that provokes the urge to scratch)
: 1,044
Anorexia: 1,028
Itching: 1,017
Ataxia (lack of muscle coordination): 953
Shaking: 930
Ineffective: hookworms: 916
Ineffective: heart worm larvae: 810

Owners blame 700 dog deaths on Trifexis:
Owners blame 700 dog deaths on Trifexis | www.wsbtv.com

“Trifexis® and Comfortis® both carry warnings about this on their websites. Vomiting, loose stools, bloody diarrhea were the most common adverse reactions during Comfortis® trials. There are also some reports of seizure like symptoms, lethargy, weight loss and respiratory issues.”

https://www.facebook.com/TrifexisKillsDogs

(from site) "This video is my My 5 year French Bulldog after taking Trifexis, she had seizures for three months, acted disoriented like this in between seizures. Trifexis admitted their med caused this reaction and paid for her care up until the point came where the vet knew she would die. She never had seizures or any other neurological impairment before this med. Please take a hard look at this video before you put your dog on this drug. I don't want my dog to have died for nothing, I hope her video saves other dogs from this."

Moms
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

no I did not save them. If they come out again I will! also I guess I gotta go back to the vet.

also I have read those reviews, but many more seemed to be fine with the product. Wolf has had no problems at all other than the worm poo. I just checked him over couldn't find any fleas...and he is not siezing at all haha. sorry that that happened to that one dog, but she seems to have had an abnormal reaction in my opinion. I am in no way defending the drug, just saying not to look at one example when probably hundreds of thousands have done fine on it
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 10:12 AM
Master Member

I gave Wolf Trifexis..and last night

It protects against. Good that it is out. I use as well have had no issues.

http://www.trifexis.com/about-parasites/about-intestinal-parasites/default.aspx

Trifexis® (spinosad + milbemycin oxime) protects dogs against three types of intestinal parasites: roundworm, hookworm and whipworm. These parasites are found in many areas around the United States, living and reproducing in animal feces and in infected soil that dogs can access.

Intestinal parasites can affect your dog in various ways, such as weight loss, diarrhea, vomiting, and even intestinal inflammation or blockage. In the most severe cases, intestinal parasite infection can kill your pet1.
Moreover, intestinal parasites can be contracted by humans through contact with an infected environment, potentially resulting in serious health issues2.
Use the links on the left to learn more about the three types of intestinal parasites and their lifecycles. The best protection against any pest is awareness.
Trifexis. One chewable tablet. Three types of parasite protection, made easy.

Trifexis can be your first line of defense, providing treatment and control of intestinal parasite infection for your dog. Talk to your veterinarian about year-round, monthly parasite control with Trifexis.

Per the 700 dog death article

"965 complaints of dog deaths blamed on Trifexis. "
"Reports to Elanco's customer hotline have had an impact. There are now nearly 1,500 complaints of lost muscle control; a condition called ataxia. "

"In the United States alone about 70 million doses of Trifexis have been dispensed and 15,000 veterinary clinics rely on the product"

Okay so let's add up 1,500 and the 965
And lump them into one category of 'issues'

2465 divided by 70 million so that percentage is about 0.003521% according to the article
Hrmmm you decide...

SG1 Enzo v TeMar HIC HCT CGC TC RATI GDT DHT PSA-PDC BH AD CD RN FO H.O.T.
OFA Good/Normal

VP Cassiopeia von Nadar
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 10:13 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryankappel View Post
no I did not save them. If they come out again I will! also I guess I gotta go back to the vet.

also I have read those reviews, but many more seemed to be fine with the product. Wolf has had no problems at all other than the worm poo. I just checked him over couldn't find any fleas...and he is not siezing at all haha. sorry that that happened to that one dog, but she seems to have had an abnormal reaction in my opinion. I am in no way defending the drug, just saying not to look at one example when probably hundreds of thousands have done fine on it
It's not just one dog, hundreds have died from it. Reactions are one thing but a high number of deaths is not good. I bought Trifexis once, read the reviews and back it went.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

forgive my previous response. I was on my phone and I didn't see all those numbers!! I just saw the end part about the pug who died.

goodness, that's a lot of problems!! Looks like I lucked out. I was with him all night and all day yesterday, no problems like the ones described.

Going forward, what would you guys recommend for getting rid of fleas/heartworms or any internal worm?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 10:37 AM
Knighted Member

It may not happen....BUT....Do you want to take a chance it may???? Who know WHICH dog's it will effect????

Maybe nothing the first time, but what about the 2nd or 3rd????

No "chances" for my dog's!!! Jess sayin.

Vet will treat with meds for different types of gut worms. Make sure you get a probioitc to replenish his gut.

These are the 2 Human Grade products I use (one or the other):
Digestive Enzyme (helps to assimilate food) & a ProBiotic (keeps the "good" bacteria in the gut). Since about 75% of the immune system lies in the gut (immune system helps fight allergens) it is important to keep it very healthy.
Sunday Sundae (Digestive Enzyme & Pro-Biotic Combo): Sunday-Sundae-12oz
Digest All Plus: (Digestive Enzyme/ProBiotic combo) Wholistic Digest All Plus? - Digestive Support - Canine

Moms
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 01:38 PM
Knighted Member

Trifexis works for lots of dogs....you just can't predict which ones will have reactions. The fact that you dog had no reaction seems to suggest your dog is probably in the safe group--not sure if there are any reports of dogs who were once OK with it, than suddenly not (you'll have to check).

If you want a good all-in-one, I highly recommend that you take a look at Advantage Multi (RX only). Purchased from KV Supply or Valley Vet with your vet's RX, it's about $14/mo. ($75-80/6 pack), for reliable flea protection (same as Advantage II), excellent HW protection, and broad intestinal worm protection against all but tapes. Since you will pay more than $10/mo for just flea protection, that works out to a good value (a lot less than Trifexis). It's a topical applied to the back, above the shoulders, so it stinks for a couple of days and you have to train yourself not to pet that area after application. It works. In rescue, we've applied it to over a hundred dogs in the past 1-2 years, with NO adverse reactions. That's why we like it: it seems to be very predictably well tolerated. I know of a high volume shelter that uses it too (400+ dogs in the facility), and they've never seen any trouble reactions either. Even our vet now uses it (switched from Trifexis). It's the only product that showed no resistance in the new ivm-resistant strain of HW in the Auburn study too. I hate the smell and not being able to touch the dog on their back for a few days, but the trade off in an inexpensive, effective, all-in-one product makes it well worth it to me.

With all the worms that came out of your dog, I'd be tempted to run the dog through with a full dose of Panacur for 3-5 days in 2 weeks (2 weeks from when you applied the Trifexis). And some Praziquantel for tapeworms. Your vet can give you these inexpensive meds (or a single dose of Drontel Plus from the vet, which does both things). With a big worm load, it can take a few dewormings, a couple weeks apart. All those fleas probably transmitted tapeworms.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 03:00 PM
Crowned Member

I personally would rather a product I use for my pets, not have lawyers involved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page