Pano plz help - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2015, 04:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Pano plz help

My 10 month old girl has just been diagnosed with pano. She wont eat. Starting rimadyl and ultram tomorrow. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Currently she eats authority large breed puppy dry food mixed with natural balance dod food roll or vital refridgerated sliced and mixed in. But right now her pain is extreme and all i can get her to eat is peanut butter. She wont touch boiled chicken. Vet said ground beef so im trying a burger tomorrow. She is about 65 pounds and lean but she lost 5 pounds probably since this weekend. I didnt know what was wrong. 2 different vets cuz i thought she got hurt at the 1st one when she was limping real bad. 2nd vet confirmed pano by xray. Shes my 1st shepherd and my baby.
raina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2015, 07:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Take her off puppy food ASAP!

My one boy went through it, it's totally normal for them to go off their food when going through this, Bob would just pick at his food sometimes.

I started giving him coconut oil, Vitamin C and turmeric and it helped wonders.

Keep her quiet as much as you can.
I never put him on anything from the vets I wanted to take a more natural approach to it, but I'm sure you will notice a big difference as soon as she is on the meds.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

You could try and see if she likes sweet foods (honey drizzled on food may work) just make sure it is raw local honey to get health benefits and not just a sugar high
wick is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2015, 01:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Pano is inflammation. A holistic vet in California many years ago had me give a big therapeutic dose of fish oil for anti-inflammatory effect, Ester-C, and a glucosamine/MSM/chondroitin combo.

We cut the severity and duration of each bout way down -- the dog didn't need carprofen/rimadyl, and was able to be up and active with just a little limp. I took about a week for the supps to build up and help, but the effect was remarkable.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2015, 02:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

I got her eating again. I think the pain meds helped some. I am giving her rice, chicken, and vital refridgerated turkey dog food all warmed up together. She isn't limping as bad. I will try some more natural pain relievers but her pain was so severe she needed it right away and i wasnt even aware of this disease until it happened. I hope it doesnt last long.
raina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2015, 08:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Pano is weird because it jumps from leg to leg over several months. An episode in a leg can last several weeks at a time, then go away and suddenly manifest in a different leg. You are likely to be dealing with it for a while yet, unfortunately. The good thing is that it goes away on its own, eventually.

The pain meds help through the acute phase. Supplements will can help diminish the severity and duration overall.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2015, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

My boy that went through it only ever had it in his one leg.. BUT.. The poor guy had it for about 6 months... Some days would be really bad to the point that he would keep us up at night crying... And then other days not so bad.

It went away for a few months and showed up again ... I think he is in the clear now for having anymore.

You just feel so awful for the poor things

She will be ok. But I would really take her off puppy food now. IMO
Old Yesterday, 05:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Panno does not always jump from leg to leg, take the dog off puppy food asap. I had one big boned Shep who had it it in one elbow, the X-ray determined it was fairly severe but he was lame for about three walks, we did kennel him quite a bit during that time as the orthopedic vet recommended. He was fine the rest of his life, no other lameness issues.
Horses272 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.