chewed antibiotics before swallowing? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2015, 03:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default chewed antibiotics before swallowing?

Wick is the rare dog that chews every bite and every kibble he eats, which is usually great because he eats slow and doesn't wolf his food down. However today I was giving him his antibiotic and he chewed it up until is was pulverized then swallowed it. I tried to take it out of his mouth and get him to swallow it whole multiple times but about the 4th time of trying to trick him he finally destroyed it and swallowed it. Is this safe? Has anyone had this happen before?
wick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2015, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Never had that happen but it doesn't matter if he chews or swallows it whole, it goes to the same place.

You could try rapping in cheese or something next time, but it really doesn't matter as long as he gets it down.
dhaney81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2015, 04:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You might call and check with the vet. My guess is for most things it's fine, but it might possibly depend on the antibiotic (coated extended release or not).

The compounded doxycycline we often get in rescue for HW treatment is a huge 400mg flavored pill that we cut in half (it's scored) to give twice a day. I think it's chicken flavored. A lot of dogs chew it because it's flavored like a treat, and that's totally fine.

I've had dogs try to chew capsules of cephalexin or cefpo and then spit them out b/c of terrible taste. Then I have to scoop up the white gooey spit-out mess and stick it in a pill pocket and start over. Those dogs get pilled by popping it on the back of their tongue after doing that once!
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2015, 04:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaney81 View Post
Never had that happen but it doesn't matter if he chews or swallows it whole, it goes to the same place.

You could try rapping in cheese or something next time, but it really doesn't matter as long as he gets it down.
Oh good, thank you for easing my mind. I was wrapping it in low sodium low fat lunch meat but he chews that too so he finds them and spits it out, usually I can trick him eventually by rapidly feeding it in succesion but not this time
Old 08-07-2015, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
You might call and check with the vet. My guess is for most things it's fine, but it might possibly depend on the antibiotic (coated extended release or not).

The compounded doxycycline we often get in rescue for HW treatment is a huge 400mg flavored pill that we cut in half (it's scored) to give twice a day. I think it's chicken flavored. A lot of dogs chew it because it's flavored like a treat, and that's totally fine.

I've had dogs try to chew capsules of cephalexin or cefpo and then spit them out b/c of terrible taste. Then I have to scoop up the white gooey spit-out mess and stick it in a pill pocket and start over. Those dogs get pilled by popping it on the back of their tongue after doing that once!

Just called the vet and they said it was fine, glad I double checked just to make sure the coated pill was why I was worried too so I'm glad you you said that.

Last edited by wick; 08-07-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post

Oh and I even tried the back if the throat thing and rubbed it like I read to do but he coughed it back up! Which is funny because then he just picked it up and chewed/ swallowed it. He is seriously a weirdo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.