How many vaccines (DHPP) before it's safe to go out? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2015, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How many vaccines (DHPP) before it's safe to go out?

I'm doing the vaccinations myself up until Rabies of course but now after reading Dr.Dodds vaccine schedule I am wondering if we are over-vaccinating. I've always wondered that myself with yearly Rabies vaccines. If it was really necessary.

So far my little gal has had two series of shots.

One at 8 weeks and one at 11 weeks. I'm about to give her the next set. (5-way)

Is she going to need another? I don't want her to be underprotected but I don't want to overvax her.

We are traveling April 12th-18th so I do want her to have as much immunity as possible.
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2015, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

They need 3 sets of the distemper/parvo vaccine, 3-4 weeks apart. The schedule I like is 8 weels, 12 weeks, 16 weeks, and then at 18 weeks I do rabies, 22 weeks I do lepto. Lepto and rabies boostered at a year. And then lepto is a yearly vaccine, however rabies and distemper both have 3 year formulations.

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
5/25/07 - 2/9/15
Luther
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 - 7/23/12

"Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." - Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2015, 07:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I started taking berlin out to areas that didn't have a lot of other dogs at 8-9 weeks, but I never really allowed him to have a lot of potential exposure until his third vaccine.

Be careful when giving your own vaccine. A lot of people handle/store vaccines improperly and it can cause problems with it.

Zeke
5/25/07 - 2/9/15
Luther
2008 - 7/23/12

"Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." - Max Von Stephanitz
Old 03-21-2015, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Mine had good titers after two shots (just Parvo and Dist, two weeks apart), the last one at 12 weeks.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2015, 07:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

You know every vets I have dealt with gives one lepto vaccine then boosters at one year but all the package inserts I have read for lepto say the first 2 doses are to be 3-4 weeks apart THEN annually. These are the only 2 standalone Lepto vaccines. There are plenty of combo vaccines with leptop DHLPP but they only contain 2, not 4 servovars.

From the Vaguard L4 Flyer
https://www.zoetisus.com/_locale-ass...e_vaccines.pdf

For Merial Recombinek 4
US.Merial.com : Merial News Release

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):
, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2015, 08:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

When we travel we would only be walking around town. We won't be going to any high-traffic dog areas so I think we will be good since we will have three vaccines and be two weeks since this one.

I'm not worried about the storage of the vaccine. I store my own vaccines when I had to take some in the fridge so I'm used to mixing vials and giving them.
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2015, 06:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
You know every vets I have dealt with gives one lepto vaccine then boosters at one year but all the package inserts I have read for lepto say the first 2 doses are to be 3-4 weeks apart THEN annually. These are the only 2 standalone Lepto vaccines. There are plenty of combo vaccines with leptop DHLPP but they only contain 2, not 4 servovars.

From the Vaguard L4 Flyer
https://www.zoetisus.com/_locale-ass...e_vaccines.pdf

For Merial Recombinek 4
US.Merial.com : Merial News Release
You are correct, yes I am sorry. The first ever lepto vaccine given must be boostered 3-4 weeks after, and then yearly after that

Zeke
5/25/07 - 2/9/15
Luther
2008 - 7/23/12

Old 03-22-2015, 08:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Yes, I was not trying to be a jerk on the two dose lepto thing but I have had 3 vets in a row NOT follow the directions and did not realize until I read them.

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):
, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2015, 09:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

can you clarify...the first ever lepto vax should have a booster, but then after the dog has had the vaccination, then only once annually? l was under the assumption that this vaccination doesn't last in the system and should be given spring and fall(with boosters two weeks later). l'm going to bring my dogs in for it this coming week. l am so afraid of that bacteria...it is so nasty. Still on the fence on when to give it to my puppy, he's only had two sets of shots/distemper and parvo (14 weeks old) and won't get his third booster til 16 weeks, then two weeks later l'll give the rabies alone. l hate to wait longer to give the lepto, as we are in an area that obviously is at risk. And from what l remember, the dogs may shed the bacteria after vaccinated so all dogs should be done at the same time?

and

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2015, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

We always did Lepto at 12 and 16 weeks then boostered yearly
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.