URGENT - Breathing difficulties/Stroke - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2015, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default URGENT - Breathing difficulties/Stroke

Our 9 year old German Shepherd had a stroke last night. We thought it was a lead up to a seizure which she started having just under 2 years ago.
The vet came this morning and took the dog and told us that she had, had a stroke. He returned the dog about an hour ago and said that he would not do anything else until we got the blood work back.
He thinks the dog has leukemia.
He gave the dog a shot of steroids and told us that she was able to walk again. So he dropped her off.

The dog is now lying on its side hardly able to lift its head and has this fast yet shallowed breathing. It is quite horrible and very distressing.

Does anyone know if this is a normal side effect from a stroke (can't seem to find this out) and if she is in pain. We are worried that the dog is in pain and might die overnight which would be horrific not only for the dog but for us. We don't want her to suffer.

Thanks Claire
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2015, 11:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Do you mean a spinal stroke? My understanding is that dog's don't have actual strokes like we do?

Is there another vet that you might be able to contact or see or can you call him and tell him what you are seeing? Is he a farm vet? I'm not used to vets dropping off and stuff - that's the only thought I could come up with, sorry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2015, 11:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

"Old Dog" Vestibular Disease | petMD

I don't know who wrote this/source so also don't know how reliable the info is: http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Health/Stroke.aspx
Here, better, VIN: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=2354

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-E2Nm6eOzI video

Spinal stroke/FCE: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=1663

JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2015, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

We had one pup who had lymphoma of the spine. One morning we woke up and her breathing had become ragged and she couldn't move right. It spread from her back legs to her front and we had to have her put to sleep. We knew before this occurred she had lymphoma, so though her symptoms were hard to see, her passing wasn't a surprise. The vet said it was basically a stroke that caused these symptoms.
What do her eyes look like?
I don't think she was in pain, she just looked confused. But it was very scary for us.
barnyard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2015, 12:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

I am not a vet but this could be vestibular syndrome as others have suggested above. My old dog Maddie had this in her final days. We also thought she had a stroke at first. Her eyes convinced us (and the vet) that is was vestibular syndrome.

Specifically, her eyes were darting rapidly back and forth. The syndrome causes them to lose all sense of balance. I believe the world was literally spinning before her eyes.

I hope your dog is ok. Please report back and let us know what is going on after you take care of your dog.

Madeline Ronan Heart (Maddie) Dec 1997 -- November 22, 2013 Rescue GSD, Sable
Mister C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2015, 01:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Max's condition has deteriorated over the past hour and we have had to call the vet back. She is going to be taken back to the surgery and hopefully monitored over night. I do not believe that she has vestibular syndrome. I can see that the symptoms are similar to a stroke but she has glazed over eyes, head tilt (resting it against wall), difficulty walking (now she can not even stand), weakness, disorientation and vision impairment.
We also noticed yesterday that she had an upset stomach and there was blood in it.

Been doing research and some dogs that have server strokes may not live beyond the first 2 days. Then on top of that we think (do not have the test results back yet) she has leukemia.

This is absolutely heart breaking to watch but we had to let her go back to the surgery in case there is any chance of saving her.

We lost Kai (dog in the picture) just over a year ago when his back legs finally gave out. I don't think we were expecting that we would have to go through this for at least another couple years.

Thanks for the replies. I will pass on the vestibular syndrome to the vet just in case.

Claire
Old 02-02-2015, 02:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm so sorry I hope the vet comes back with good news and it's something treatable

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 6 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2015, 02:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Max has just lost her battle with life she was just so poorly and now in pain we had no choice but to have her put down.

I wanted to thank you all for trying to help.

Claire
Old 02-02-2015, 02:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Such sad news. I am very sorry for your loss. I hope the memories you shared with Max will in time bring comfort and peace. RIP Max.
kelbonc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2015, 02:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm very sorry for your loss She's out of pain now

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 6 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.