Weight loss? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2014, 05:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Weight loss?

Lenny, 12yo, has lost about 10-15 pounds over the last several months. She's around 45 lbs now and has been between 55-60 her adult life. The looks pathetic. I gave her a bath earlier and I could hardly look at her. She eats so randomly. A few bites one meal, half the bowl the next, 1/3, all, non... She has epi but her stools have looked fine. Vet has done the works on her, blood work, X-ray and can't find anything. She acts fine. Energy, personality and what not are normal. Any ideas?
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Poor Lenny

Do you know if the vet checked her B12 level and what her results are?

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Heidigsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I had an EPI GSD .....I shifted her diet to raw for a while and it seemed to spike her appetite. Since I was using the pancreatic enzymes I had to grind the raw components. I bought a cheap meat grinder at Northern Tool....

Kitchener #12 Electric Meat Grinder 1/2 HP | Electric Meat Grinders| Northern Tool + Equipment

Even though it isn't recommended to grind bones in it...it handled chicken bones fairly easily. I did have to use a meat cleaver at times to cut some of the chicken parts so they would fit down the grinder's feed tube. A hefty cleaver will chop through the chicken bones with little effort.

Once I made up the ground raw concoction of meat/bone and organ, I would just add the pancreatic enzyme powder as normal and let it do it's thing for a while before feeding her. She seemed to definitely eat more and did put on some pounds.

Best of luck and I hope your old girl starts to put a few pounds on.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
Lenny, 12yo, has lost about 10-15 pounds over the last several months. She's around 45 lbs now and has been between 55-60 her adult life. The looks pathetic. I gave her a bath earlier and I could hardly look at her. She eats so randomly. A few bites one meal, half the bowl the next, 1/3, all, non... She has epi but her stools have looked fine. Vet has done the works on her, blood work, X-ray and can't find anything. She acts fine. Energy, personality and what not are normal. Any ideas?
12 yr old EPI dog suddenly losing weight with good stools tells me something else is going on. Raw diet may peak her interest but may also start some stool issues but at this point could also stabilize her weight loss if you get the right combo going.

I'd still be looking for other causes.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Not sure about the b12 thing. I'll give them a call. Not sure what to do otherwise. They've run every test they know to run I think. I believe in our vet but I've thought of going to another vet to get a fresh set of eyes on her.
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2014, 10:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

B12 levels for an EPI dog have to be in the normal upper-mid range level, being in the normal range is not enough. Low B12 could be the reason for her lack of appetite if this issue is related to her EPI.
B12 -

I would post her issues on "epi4dogs" to get some advise. It would help to know what test where run and the results.

A second opinion is a good idea, I hope you can find out what is causing her weight loss and lack of appetite.

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009

Last edited by Heidigsd; 12-23-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Heidigsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.