Frequent Leg pain - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2014, 08:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Frequent Leg pain

1 yr male GSD. Recently he started getting this leg pain on the rear left leg(No swelling..no pain wen u try to test why he actually has the pain). He limps and lift his legs while walking or standing. Have consulted doctors 4 times in 3 months and every time they give him a couple of injections and pills. But it doesn't seem to work.
I was worried if its the back problem that most GSDs are susceptible to but doctors tell that he doesn't have such a problem but they don't tell me about why he is getting this recurrent pain in his leg or why he is limping so often.

I changed 2 doctors hoping to find some result but it dint seem to work and i am tired of they prescribing feed supplements every time i go with his limping problem.
I don't mind giving him watever they prescribe as long as they take the problem away..Plzzz any suggestions.
Mani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2014, 08:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

The first thing that struck me when I read this was a torn / damaged cruciate ligament. If this is the case, and depending on the severity of it, your dog might need TPLO surgery.

If it's not serious, physio therapy can work, it takes a while for everything to get healthy again.

Good luck!
Old 11-28-2014, 08:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Have you tried going to an ortho vet?
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2014, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

did you check for Pano. Male, gsd, one year -- good place to start.

check the toes . Had a dog with a cracked toe , which takes forever to heal because of the constant use . Did this kind of thing for a while after wild exuberant running the fields with the ploughed ditches . (cracked toe on ridge of hard spiky ice)

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2014, 12:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Have either of the vets done xrays? Like mentioned above, toes/wrists etc...can be fractured. When Tuke was younger she'd launch off the top of the deck, a good 5' down trying to clear the stairs. She ended up fracturing toes as a result.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2014, 12:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

He does have cracked toes but i dont understand wat pano means...could u plzzz give me more details abt tat
Old 11-28-2014, 12:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

well there's your answer -- cracked toes .
give them time and give them something with anti inflammatory so that you don't have arthritis setting in .

Carmspack
Old 11-28-2014, 12:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

@carmspack...thanks for your views..looked up for panostetis..I think all his symptoms fit with what you mentioned...but is there any medicine that I can give him whenever he gets this pain or should I go to doctor everytime it occurs..anyways will consult the vet tomm..hopefully he gives me a gud news of the pain going away soon..
Not able to see this boy in pain every now and then..He is very active fellow and it evidently shows in the house when he is down with a problem..
Hope he recovers soon..

Thank you soo much guys for your valuable inputs..
Old 11-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

vet sort of dropped the ball in not looking for all the simple things first and ruling them out. Sure injections and pills. Injections of what? Pills for what ?

Rule out panosteitis , although this seems to be isolated to this one rear leg , so pano , probably not so much.

Pain can be your friend because it causes you to change your behaviour. Having the dog pain free will allow him to jump around like some happy fool and the injury never mends.

MSM is a natural pain killer .

Putting the paw into a bucket of cold water helps -- you could add Epsom salts but don't let him drink the water .

MSM is a natural pain killer .

Carmspack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.