Under weight? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2014, 05:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Under weight?

I have 9 1/2 month German Shepherd / Rottweiler mix who has the body type and face of a Shepherd and the fur/markings of a Rott. He's healthy, happy, athletic, smart, and I haven't had any problems with him so far.

I do think he's underweight by a decent amount, thats if we're going off those average weight by age charts. He weighs about 53lbs at 9 1/2 months, the Shepherd chart says he should be around 70lbs while the Rott is closer to 85-90. He'd even be 10 lbs underweight for a female shepherd.

Now, there are a few reasons why he might be smaller. First off I got him way too early, he was around 6 weeks, still blind with blue-grey eyes. The woman whose dogs had the puppies didnt want to keep them any longer and was getting rid of them to anyone that would take them. They were definitely to young to be away from their mother so that may have stunted his growth. On top of that, I had him snipped as soon I could, I think around 4-5 months. Maybe the combo of the 2 is keeping him small?

On the other hand he is about 23 inches tall, right below the bottom average of both breeds so he's not "small" just skinny. Also, I see 2 of his litter mates almost every day and he's an inch or 2 taller than both and about the same weight. He is obviously skinnier than the other 2 but neither of them is above 60lbs, its not like hes lagging behind.

Can I get some opinions? What do you guys think?
dg39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Any way you can post pics?

In good lighting - Side view and birds eye view?
N Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2014, 06:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

First, charts are averages which means a mean between the heaviest and lightest. All dogs are different, and maturity of weight won't occur until around 2yrs or more of age. Since he is slowly but steadily gaining weight and not having energy issues, etc then I would be happy with his slow growth (easier on joints) and recognize he has a lot of maturing and filling out to do. I think when he finishes maturing, you will be very happy with his size overall.

2nd,puppies see visually when their eyes open, so your pup wasn't blind when you got him. Their eyes do continue to develop acuity and change colors they age. At 6wks,he mostly missed out on social development over any growth aspect.

Hope this helps alleviate your concerns a little ... Pix of your boy would be great
Hineni7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2014, 01:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'll try to get a pic up if I get the time. He doesn't look unhealthy, I'll say that. You can barely see his ribs showing if he's in the perfect position. That, plus knowing the charts are only rough averages is why I haven't been to worried about it. But 20-30 lbs is a solid chunk of weight. Also he's been stuck around 50lbs for awhile now. I can't remember exactly but I feel like its been a month or 2 since he hit the 50 mark and he's still below 55.

The reason I said blind is cause at first they wouldn't follow anything by sight, only by sound. They wouldn't look at something or someone unless it made a sound no matter how much it was moving before hand. I guess they didn't have the most developed sight at that point.
dg39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.