Vomiting bile - when to feed? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Vomiting bile - when to feed?

Hi all,

We've had our 3 year old rescue for a week now. A few days ago she vomited bile in the morning on an empty stomach (only once). We thought maybe she just had too much time in between meals and her acid was building up. We fed her a small meal about a short time later and all was well.

This morning we woke up to her vomiting bile which was followed by about 4 more rounds throughout the next hour and a half with the occasional dry heave. We've been with her almost all day and haven't seen her intake any strange foreign objects. She did poop this morning and it looked normal.

My question is whether or not I should try feeding her in a little bit or skip a meal? I called two local vets for reference; one stated that I should go ahead and give her a little food, the other said she would never recommend giving food to a dog who's vomited .

Thanks in advance!
SLY0904 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2014, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

In my experience with these bile throw up episodes, it's not how often you're feeding, but what you're feeding. It took years of struggling and tweaking diets to figure that out and find something that works.

When I fed a kibble with ingredients that didn't agree with the dog, she'd constantly throw up yellow bile. Didn't matter how often I was feeding or the snacks between meals. Found and fed something that worked and have gone years without throwing up.

Good luck. I know how frustrating it can be.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2014, 04:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Same here. Stosh would throw up the yellow bile when his stomach was empty in the morning so I gave him a bedtime snack of a small handful of kibble. Some people feed gingersnaps at night because the ginger soothes the stomach. Still had the occasional incident, but since I switched him from Taste of the Wild to Fromm- no problems at all. He eats the pork and applesauce. The pork agrees with him much more than beef or especially chicken.
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately she's in the hospital diagnosed with pancreatitis :-(. She kept vomiting and eventually there was a little blood-like substance, so we took her to the ER.

One week into our adoption and there goes a huge chunk of change!
Old 11-24-2014, 12:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'm so sorry to hear that she is sick with pancreatitis, poor girl. She's in a good place now and getting help, so hopefully she'll be on the mend soon. Please keep us posted on how she's doing.
Linda1270 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2014, 01:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLY0904 View Post
Thanks everyone. Unfortunately she's in the hospital diagnosed with pancreatitis :-(. She kept vomiting and eventually there was a little blood-like substance, so we took her to the ER.

One week into our adoption and there goes a huge chunk of change!
Check out GreenTripe.Com Main Index. and click on "products". They have a raw product that seems to be helpful for Pancreatitis.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2014, 04:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

In most cases, yellow foam indicates that the dog's stomach is relatively empty of food. The yellow color comes from bile, a digestive fluid that's produced in the liver, stored in the gall bladder and then released into the small intestine just below the stomach.

A dog may vomit yellow foam simply because his stomach is empty and the bile can be irritating. If your dog is otherwise healthy — and he's eating and defecating normally — it may help to reduce the time in between meals. But this doesn’t mean that your dog should be fed more. Instead, one meal can be divided into two or three smaller but more frequent feedings.
annehoward897 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. She's doing better and eating a Rx low fat/bland diet for the time being. She received two rounds of IV fluids during her stay in the ER however I am getting concerned because she's still not interested in water. She of course was urinating quite a bit the first day and a half and she's going every trip outside but she is still walking right past the water bowl!

I've been mixing some in with her food but I guess if she doesn't start drinking today then we may have to go back and see what's going on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.