Hind leg not being used - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2014, 06:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hind leg not being used

Our beloved Porsche is 13-1/2 years old. 10 days ago she had a bout with IVD (idiopathic vestibular disease). She was on the mend and this past Thursday she collapsed and now won't use her right hind leg. She's on glucosamine / condroitin, Tramadol 50mg, and Novox 75 mg twice per day.

We're considering getting a cart.

Any advice would be welcomed...
OTSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2014, 08:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

I am sorry to hear about your girl

I really love her name! 13 1/2 wow that's awesome, seniors are beautiful! hope she gets well, and that others who can help you, will offer some advice.
Lobo dog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Before you invest in a cart, and without spending an arm and a leg, have you had a vet check her feet/leg/hip to see if he can determine what's wrong ... an injury ... something between her toes or in her pad ... etc. ... could she have broken it? in other words is it a temporary problem that might be causing her not to be using her leg or what the vet would consider a permanent problem?
Old 11-01-2014, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

I agree. You need to have her looked at. She could have ruptured a ligament, pulled a muscle, gosh forbid have a tumor, dislocated her hip. There are lots if things. If it was both back legs my answer would be different. But it's only one.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

I did take her in on Friday and the Vet noticed swelling in her knee and gave her an anti-inflammatory shot. If she didn't improve over the weekend, we needed to bring her back in for possibly an x-ray.

I had some time to exercise both hind legs and there is definitely a 'loseness' or lack of resistance on her right leg compared to her left (more resistance).

Thanks for the inputs. We'll hold off on purchasing anything until we see the vet.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Here's a picture of Porsche I took yesterday while I had her out in the backyard getting some sun.

Wife is taking her to the vet with the help of our neighbor. I'll post an update once I learn more of her situation.
Attached Thumbnails
Hind leg not being used-porsche-11-2-2014.jpg  
Old 11-03-2014, 09:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Update

Wife took Porsche to the vet and her leg is broken. x-rays confirmed it.

Vet states it might be bone cancer. I have some literature and the x-rays to review.

biopsy would require general anethestia and he states at her age, she might not make it out of it.

Removal of the leg is also risky

For some reason, he thinks it may never heal.

Porsche is not exhibiting any pain or suffering.

We have some research to do and some soul searching to do on how we proceed.

Her will to live and the interaction she has with us is making this tough - she's still got it all together upstairs. When my wife got home, she was of course in tears. Porsche just sat there with the look on her face to my wife as if she was saying 'What's the matter?'

I'll keep you all posted. Prayers accepted.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have some recent experience in this area. 18 months ago our almost 10 yr old Lab started favoring(not using) a rear leg. The Vet diagnosed bone cancer, with few options. Her leg wasn't broke, but the Vet said it would happen if nothing was done. The X-Ray showed bone severely compromised.

We did a quick family pow-wow, and had them removed the leg. Our dog was not overweight but it was a long recovery. She later damaged an ACL in the other rear leg, more recovery.

We had her another 9 months, she mostly layed around, which was O.K. The longevity after diagnosis with bone cancer isn't good. The bright spot is we bought her a push cart to go on our normal walks, she LOVED it.

After spending $2000 and the quality of life and recovery issues afterwards I don't think I would do it again. Yes, she was loyal as the best, but she never did well again.

I'm not saying what to do, just relating our experience.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

We met with the oncologist today. Scheduled amputation for Wed, Nov 12. Family meeting tonight..... I'll post update as things happen...
Old 11-07-2014, 10:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

What a beautiful girl! She looks really good for 13 1/2, from the picture I would have guessed 10! So sorry that yall are going through this do they know if it is cancer yet or will they find out after they amputate? I will be praying for you all
Lobo dog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.