Mysterious Lump - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2014, 01:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Mysterious Lump

Moose is a 3 and a half year old GSD mix.. probably with some kind of hound because he enjoys singing (howling) especially the Canadian national anthem during hockey games! Moose has had his fair share of vet visits, some background on those visits;

We adopted him from a no-kill shelter when he was about 6 months old and he has been on the same wet/dry food combo and brand they had him on there, adjusted to him being an adult now of course.

His first trip, non vaccine and check up related, was when he ate a carton of cigarettes that had fallen from my moms pocket into the snow when she was shoveling. We took him to the vet immediately and they were amazed at how excited he was to eat the charcoal used to induce vomiting, he will eat anything. He had no problems stemming from the ingestion of nicotine.

Next he snuck behind the couch in our house, circa 1970's and found a curtain weight made of solid lead. After munching on that for a few minutes someone noticed and we rushed him back to the vet where again he was given charcoal... and loved it. He had no problems stemming from his ingestion of lead.

Next he had a tic imbedded in his skin on his rump which had to be shaved and the tick was removed with no further issues.

He gets very bad seasonal allergies (early spring to the first hard frost) and at one point earlier in the year he had scratched the inside of his front right leg raw and was given a cortisone shot and a spray to calm the area down. He has also licked his fur very thin in some spots.

Recently because of his relentless scratching at his face he got a bacterial infection above his eye which has successfully been treated but he has been on prednisone for a month or two now which will stop when the first hard frost comes... and in Massachusetts who knows when that will be.

Those are Moose's previous issues but now I've come across something that really worries me. I noticed a small round red area on his groin with what looked like a tic in it, there was none and this has settled down. Right next to that spot I noticed what I thought to be an ingrown hair or a pimple a few days ago, upon inspecting the same spot today I noticed a dramatic change. The best way I know to describe the feeling of it, as I have my ears pierced many time, it is similar to the hard round ball that shows up if your piercing is infected that you can feel. The ball I felt on him was very small and even when I applied pressure he had no reaction and as far as I can tell felt no pain. His behavior is no different, he eats like a horse, plays with his toys, takes his favorite blanket and humps it, the usual

As a child my mother and I never lived in a place that allowed dogs so my animal history is fish, an iguana.. awesome pets, and my only other current pet, a guinea pig. Moose is my first dog and I know that I obsess over little things but where as it is a lump I don't feel I'm overreacting. I would appreciate any help or advice, I fully expect to have him at the vet by the end of this week but I would like to know what I'm dealing with, thanks so much!

-Hannah
Moose's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2014, 01:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

It could be nothing, but for your peace of mind (and to catch it now if it is something serious), take him to the vet. I recently had a bump removed from my boy's foot--it turned out benign, but we had to have it taken off because it was growing. Get it checked!

Susan
Susan_GSD_mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2014, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Whatever it is, you caught it very early! Lets hope its nothing, but let the vet see it. And, good luck with your first dog. You sound like a pro!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.