Nessi 6-9m/o had distemper - intestines recovery help - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Nessi 6-9m/o had distemper - intestines recovery help

Hi, our doggy had a complicated distemper type about 1.5 months ago when she was 7m old. We had both the intestine complications with vomiting and heavy diarrhea and pneumonia at the same time. Luckily for us we managed to figure out over few days of unresponsive treatment with 24/(4-5) fluid infusion with resprim that this treatment is not enough and that the vet didn't recognize that it has pneumonia - after which we switched a vet and got 2 more antibiotic types. Few further days were very heavy on keeping her breathing and hydrated after which she started recovering and eventually started to eat etc. Now she is out of it but we are still having digestion problems: often stool is soft, the color was green since she got sick and she is very sensitive to change in diet. We did both the prescription hills diet and probiotics for around 20 days, it seemed better but the color was still green. Later it softened again. Occasional bismuth subsalycilate hardens it but the color persists. Does anybody have any suggestions for better recovery?

She lost about 4kg while sick, but now she got these back with some more kg. still very light weight. Looks like she is slowing in development a bit. Now she is on hills science plan puppies large breed. Please help
Cultivator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Additional info: the vet is not willing to prescribe antibiotics for now since she was on augmentin, ciprofloxacin(?), doxiline for about 15 days. Says it will eventually go away.... The stool has sometimes mucosal(transparent viscous) discharge, sometimes just green and soft(amorphous).
Old 10-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

What is her current diet? Any other "add ins" or supplements other than the probiotics? I she still on probiotics, or just for 20 days?

Did you follow a bland diet for a minimum of 10 days to allow her digestive tract time to heal before starting in with the Hills? (I am not a fan of any hills products and can imagine it would make things worse, not better).
N Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2014, 11:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Now she is not on probiotics although after these 20 days she also was getting human probiotics occasionally. There was no other diet other than hills prescription food, later mixed with hills vet essential, later transferred to regular.
What is blend diet? Can you direct me to some basics?
Old Yesterday, 08:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cultivator View Post
Now she is not on probiotics although after these 20 days she also was getting human probiotics occasionally. There was no other diet other than hills prescription food, later mixed with hills vet essential, later transferred to regular.
What is blend diet? Can you direct me to some basics?

Hi Cultivator!

Agree with N Smith.....Bland diet.....nothing else.....unless small tidbits of the boiled turkey....until gut issues clear up, then a better food.

A bland diet is boiled turkey breast(water drained and turkey rinsed to remove any fat) mixed with over cooked white rice or PLAIN canned pumpkin (NO spices added) or both with the turkey. I'm not sure the amount you are feeding, but for example: 1 Cup boiled turkey, 1 cup over cooked white rice, 1/2 cup of plain canned pumpkin....split into 3 or 4 small meals. Once the dog is stable for 10 days, you can begin to add in very small amounts of a high quality food such as The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Food "Embark" or Fromm's 4 Star -Non Grain or Acana Regional's Non-Grain(These foods are for All Life Stages). Watch the stool daily to indicate how much kibble to wean on to, slowly.

I don't think you are on the right Pro-Biotics to help heal the gut and these are a MUST with her condition. The antibiotics have most likely killed all of the good bacteria! 75% of disease begins in the gut!

I would highly suggest that you purchase a product called Sunday Sundae (one of 5 Feed-Sentials products) which is a mixture of "whole foods" combined to make a digestive enzyme and probiotic specifically for gut problems. Per creator of Feed-Sentials products: Sunday Sundae: "Over all, the purpose of this was to seriously address digestive issues , digestion and absorption and physical care of the digestive tract from top to bottom , eliminate inflammation caused by a flawed system - reducing sensitivities and "allergy" response , and providing select ingredients which are unfriendly to the ultimate inflammation -- the big C." The other Feed-Sentinal "whole food" products are also healing for a compromised system.

To Purchase From Canada:
Sunday Sundae (Digestive Enzyme & Pro-Biotic Combo): Sunday Sundae Nutritional Supplement

To Purchase From the USA: http://animalnature.net/animal-natur...t-listing.html
phone: 412 723 2194 Jason @ Animal Nature (he can over-night this for you).

Check your PM.

Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you all very much for the contribution. I'll definitely see whether I can find this sundae here, I live far away from the continent maybe it's possible to get it online. I will try the diet both of you suggested. One question: doesn't pumpkin soften the stool itself? I heard that it's used sometimes for baby foods and that sometimes it can soften the baby stool.
Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Pumpkin is a miracle food for both loose stool and constipation - it will help correct both

For my bland diet, I use boneless skinless chicken, and over boiled white rice (think soupy gruel). You want to use some of the liquid from the gruel too - it should not be perfect rice, it should be super overboiled, so it is easier on the digestive tract. If you can use minute rice, that is even better.

You can add pumpkin and probiotics to this and feed ONLY this until you see stool correct. It will probably stay a light color, since there is nothing in the food to make it a correct color, but you want a nice, formed log consistency to it.

Once you have accomplished that, you can SLOWLY (over 10-14 days) switch her over to the diet you want her to stay on. I assume you can't access a quality kibble, what about feeding a raw diet?

I would add 25% new diet to 75% bland diet for three days, make sure stool remains consistent. Then do a 50/50 mix, again for 3 days then 75%/25%, then the new diet alone. I would not add anything else to the diet or up the quantity until I see consistently firm stool.

If you decide to go with raw, pick one protein source and stick with that through the transition. Once you have success with that one protein source over 7 days, I would pick one more and slowly add that to the diet.

Ideally you want AT LEAST 3-4 different protein sources and various animals parts from those sources to form your raw diet - the more the merrier, as long as they are introduced correctly and work well in your dogs diet.

There is a lot of info on this forum, as well as MANY web pages dedicated to raw diet.

The links provided by momto2GSDs is a way to order Sunday Sundae online.

Let us know how your pup comes along!
N Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

With a damaged intestinal lining, I'd be very tempted to use bovine colostrum as a supplement. Ask your vet about that. It can be purchased at health food stores. It seems to work especially well in conjunction with a probiotic.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Today, 03:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would agree with the colostrum, goat or bovine, or raw goat's milk.....

A good probiotic, but also something to help heal the gut, like slippery elm or the herb marshmallow. L-glutamine if it's available to you.

I don't know what foods you have available to you, but you'll want to ditch the Science Diet.

I would add liver support, I'm a fan of Country Life's Liver Support Factors here.

GSDs are susceptible to chronic gut infection, many need long term antibiotic support, like Tylosin, which we can get over the counter here.

I would provide antioxidant support, namely vitamin C ultimately, for any hidden viral loads.

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.