Go ahead with hip xrays or not? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2014, 03:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Go ahead with hip xrays or not?

I noticed my middle aged GSD places his hips carefully when he lays down on a hard surface. My vet moved his hips around and his legs and stuff and said she didn't feel anything. His hips crack sometimes as well. He did have an xray 2.5 years ago but when my current vet looked at them she said the vet that took that xray only did one position (on the back) and it wasn't positioned properly (he was crooked on the xray table). The previous vet said his right hip (also right on the xray apparently) was bad but my new vet couldnt see it. Would you guys recommend redoing xrays? I dont mind spending the money. Im being told that a good vet will be able to tell if a dog has hip issues and what grade by just feeling the movement of the joint so now I do not know what to think
Nancy_GSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2014, 04:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Get the X-rays. My 16 month old golden was just diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia. I never seen any signs and his exams never pointed in that direction. Once I pay off his surgery I will be taking each of mine in for X-rays, just so I know and can have a plan ready to go.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2014, 07:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I talked to my vet, and when I neuter Fritz, we are going to do hip xrays! My last GSd, Stella had dysplasia, we managed, kept the weight under control, no running, short slow walks, glucosamine, cosequine, HD joint food.. Only in her last two years did she really slow down.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Sorry, a vet can't tell if a dog is dysplastic unless viewed by an xray.. A hip xray (and OFA requirement)is done on the back with the legs straight, so not sure what the one vet is saying by only taking one xray. Yes, it might have been crooked,but you can still see what is going on.
wyominggrandma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2014, 11:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Yes, and sometime it's crooked, because with diagnostic xrays, you can straighten things out without really causing pain when the dog comes to - my dog's leg could have bee pulled into position, but not for any benefit, the hip was obviously bad.

That being said, if I am going to do xrays I would do the hips, spine, elbows.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.