Indoor muscle building for dogs? Allergies cont. Food for muscle. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2014, 11:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member
 
VTGirlT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 834
Unhappy Indoor muscle building for dogs? Allergies cont. Food for muscle.

Anything I can do with her indoors to build up muscle, especially her back legs, to help support hips joints?
I am sure to help build more muscle also she should be eating more..

Vet said, "she runs quite on the thin side, and that its problematic for her hips, and her psyche. Dogs that have adequate condition (adequate Yin, or adequate 'meat on their bones') have more confidence. And even the worst hips do better when they have some muscle mass (some condition) around them. I've seen dogs with dreadful hips do well when its more challenging to feel the greater trochanter of the hip (the bony projection on the side of the body, indicating where the hip is)."

She needs to eat more. BUT we keep have challenges and things that stop us from proceeding to suggestions given. Everything i've tried so far A. she wont eat it, she picks at it and than doesn't eat it, or she may have an allergic reaction to it. B. vet says to try something else for now.

My vet said he believes she is a "true allergy" dog. And after all the anal gland, hot spots, chewing fur problems off and on, severity changing over the time period i've had her.. I decided it was time to do it. And so we did do the test, and am waiting for results.
He believes she mainly is showing liver blood deficiency, indicative of heat. And also some dampness. But that is a challenging case because this isn't always true. and sometimes its not.. But lots of signs of it.

For now he wants her off everything but the Acana fish dry food i am giving her, since i tried samples of bags of different foods and that is one she favored and had good % and ingredients for her deficiency. Otherwise i would be giving her some fat balls or some other supplement to get more calories on her! Unfortunately, and i also let him know, that i have to feed some type of wet for her supplements for AM and PM. So i do a small amount with some warm water and put her supplements in it. And i'm slowly transitioning from her Zignature turkey dry to Acana fish dry. And she still picks at it.. I dont know what to do with her! I can only spend so much money on food before i go broke! I already try and set aside $150-200 a month for food AND supplements. Any more than that and thats a paycheck for a week. I am already on a very strict budget.

She did not want to eat the honest kitchen..

I do know she isn't a huge fan of eating her food in the morning, or when she has her cone on. She picks at it through the night. I could go days without feeding her she probably wouldn't eat it still. And she needs to where her cone at night. Because her allergies are so bad she chewed half of her tail off, left scabs all over her tail, she chewing on her back legs especially right above her hocks which she made red and her knees, also her front legs where their are patches of chewed fur and she has yeast JUST in the back paw pads again very red with black gunk.. So i am using pads i got from the vet to use on her everyday until its gone and she where a cone almost 24/7 for now.
She does not do well on prednisone.. So i try to stay away from that, i know that a lot of conventional veterinarians will put dogs on long term predinisone and its what they push for me. My holistic vet will use it for short periods but tries to get the core of the problem basically. She becomes lethargic-isn't her normal self and pees in the house sometimes (when normally this girl can go longer than i can!) when she is on prednisone.

I am hoping that this allergy test will give me a better idea of what i can feed. And go by what foods will be good for her that would be good for her liver blood deficiency..

I know that i have posted alot about her her allergies and hips. But i have gone through those things. And or they are not allowed to continue.

So this post is mainly asking for any other ideas? Maybe i just needed to rant?..
But i am hoping someone at least has a good idea for me on how to build up muscle in the house on Zelda, especially her back legs? Yoga for dogs?

My goals.. Having a lean muscular Zelda with no more symptoms of allergic reactions.

Thanks guys!
__________________
Mom of: "Zelda"
Born: December 15, 2012
In my Care: May 01, 2013

Last edited by VTGirlT; 09-29-2014 at 11:16 AM.
VTGirlT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-29-2014, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Mary Beth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pierre, South Dakota
Posts: 2,709
Default

Maybe a treadmill for indoor exercise? Also fetch using a soft ball indoors. Tug also to help build up the muscles. For fat, coconut oil added to her diet.
__________________
Sting Chance von Gaard AKC GSD 2/8/2006
Mary Beth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2014, 09:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Jax08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NNE PA
Posts: 22,218
Default

Look at this page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cani...BodyAwareness/
__________________


~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2014, 03:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
LisaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 17,356
Default

You might try some whey protein...jarrow unflavored, or goat whey: goat whey protein powder supplement - tera'swhey | tera's whey
__________________

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2014, 06:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
JoeyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Middletown MD
Posts: 96
Default

I have a cheap treadmill I use for my guy. Bought it just for him. He's also a picky eater and usually after a good workout and a skipped meal he'll eat. The treadmill works when we're busy from work and our kid and just can't find the time to get him out to run or in bad weather. Another thing I do to get him started on eating is cook him a beef broth of sorts. I buy a big roast boil it and keep the water,cut up the meat into little pieces then I warm it up and add about a cup to each meal, he eats this way.
JoeyG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2014, 07:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member
 
VTGirlT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
Maybe a treadmill for indoor exercise? Also fetch using a soft ball indoors. Tug also to help build up the muscles. For fat, coconut oil added to her diet.
I have thought about that. My sister says she isn't building any muscle cause she drags her feet on the ground, unless she is running, than she bunny hops pretty much. So maybe she would have to more on a treadmill?
How how much coconut oil is safe to use she is about 65-70 pounds? I wouldn't be surprised if she lost weight since last time we weighed her which was about 68/69.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Okay thanks for link Jax, my request is pending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaT View Post
You might try some whey protein...jarrow unflavored, or goat whey: goat whey protein powder supplement - tera'swhey | tera's whey
I never thought to use whey protein for dogs. I guess it makes sense. It would be a good alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyG View Post
I have a cheap treadmill I use for my guy. Bought it just for him. He's also a picky eater and usually after a good workout and a skipped meal he'll eat. The treadmill works when we're busy from work and our kid and just can't find the time to get him out to run or in bad weather. Another thing I do to get him started on eating is cook him a beef broth of sorts. I buy a big roast boil it and keep the water,cut up the meat into little pieces then I warm it up and add about a cup to each meal, he eats this way.
How did you set up your treadmill for it to be safe for him? I feel like a lot of dogs would freak out if it started moving and they would try to get off one way or another. (front, to the sides, etc.)

I wonder if i could use turkey instead of beef? I know that beef is a meat we are supposed to stay away from. So a cup of the boiled water and the meat? Do you think if i poured it on her kibble it would be same effect? I might have to try this! I know she use to love it when i cooked her chicken and rice during her chronic diarrhea phase. She does not care for raw ground turkey or ground turkey cooked.. Maybe the real deal she will eat though.

Thanks guys
__________________
Mom of: "Zelda"
Born: December 15, 2012
In my Care: May 01, 2013
VTGirlT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2014, 08:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: ontario -
Posts: 9,075
Default

there is a whole lot of things going on with this dog that running won't resolve. Probably stress her more.
__________________
Carmen

**********

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2014, 08:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Linda1270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 263
Default

I am having a similar problem with Tess, 2 year old GSD, regarding allergies and eating. It all began in the spring and has not shown any sign yet of going away. I am on a fixed income and cannot afford an allergy test at this time....so wish I could. She bites her paws to the point of getting raw, scratching, licking her groin area, lots of goop in her eye and scratches her ears until they're red. It's also hard to get her to eat, especially in the a.m.

What has helped with getting her to eat is adding raw goats milk to her kibble. I just pour it over the food and she loves it! Licks the bowl too. I just found out about this. It's also very good for them, lots of probiotics etc. I purchase the Answers brand.

I also add coconut oil to her diet and she loves that too. If you do decide to give it to Zelda, make sure you start off slowly, I started Tess off on a tsp and it gave her diarrhea. I was told to start her off on 1/4 tsp and work my way up over a 2-3 week period. I also just started to clean her ears with the coconut oil, per Dr. Becker, so the jury's still out on that one.

I hope you get the results of your test soon, I'll be real interested in seeing what Zelda is allergic too. It's so **** frustrating to watch our dogs suffer and not be able to help them.

I feed Tess 4health no grain Turkey and Potato but it doesn't seem to be helping, a few people have suggested that it could be the turkey or the potato due to a lot of dogs being allergic to both of them.
Linda1270 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: ontario -
Posts: 9,075
Default

quote " My sister says she isn't building any muscle cause she drags her feet on the ground, unless she is running, than she bunny hops pretty much. So maybe she would have to more on a treadmill? "

the dog must be in pain -- some dysfunction, neural or spinal

don't ask the dog to do something that it can not

same goes for eating -- bet the dog has stomach pain so avoids eating -- like a person who has Chron's .

so what is your vet doing about the "dampness"?
__________________
Carmen

**********

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member
 
VTGirlT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
there is a whole lot of things going on with this dog that running won't resolve. Probably stress her more.
Well i already went back and through on this subject. And have decided she can run. She doesn't run with other dogs because THAT, although fun to her, she pushes herself too hard.. She LOVES to run actually!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1270 View Post
I am having a similar problem with Tess, 2 year old GSD, regarding allergies and eating. It all began in the spring and has not shown any sign yet of going away. I am on a fixed income and cannot afford an allergy test at this time....so wish I could. She bites her paws to the point of getting raw, scratching, licking her groin area, lots of goop in her eye and scratches her ears until they're red. It's also hard to get her to eat, especially in the a.m.

What has helped with getting her to eat is adding raw goats milk to her kibble. I just pour it over the food and she loves it! Licks the bowl too. I just found out about this. It's also very good for them, lots of probiotics etc. I purchase the Answers brand.

I also add coconut oil to her diet and she loves that too. If you do decide to give it to Zelda, make sure you start off slowly, I started Tess off on a tsp and it gave her diarrhea. I was told to start her off on 1/4 tsp and work my way up over a 2-3 week period. I also just started to clean her ears with the coconut oil, per Dr. Becker, so the jury's still out on that one.

I hope you get the results of your test soon, I'll be real interested in seeing what Zelda is allergic too. It's so **** frustrating to watch our dogs suffer and not be able to help them.

I feed Tess 4health no grain Turkey and Potato but it doesn't seem to be helping, a few people have suggested that it could be the turkey or the potato due to a lot of dogs being allergic to both of them.
Ah 4health is what my sister is using, her dogs seems to do pretty good on it. It is quite frustrating.. Hopefully you can figure out whats going on with Tess, i know Heska is cheaper with my Vet than VARL was with the other Vet. So i went with it!

Thanks for the tip on coconut oil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
quote " My sister says she isn't building any muscle cause she drags her feet on the ground, unless she is running, than she bunny hops pretty much. So maybe she would have to more on a treadmill? "

the dog must be in pain -- some dysfunction, neural or spinal

don't ask the dog to do something that it can not

same goes for eating -- bet the dog has stomach pain so avoids eating -- like a person who has Chron's .

so what is your vet doing about the "dampness"?

My sister isn't a vet, i dont like drawing to conclusions, i'm already a worry wort. I think she drags her feet some, but she still takes them off the ground.
If your picturing Zelda doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZIDkaMcLKE or anything close to this, it is far from the truth. I'm sure its my own fault for not describing it better, so i apologize for that-my bad.
If Zelda has a spinal or neural problem i am sure it would be more obvious.

I have no doubt Zelda is in pain. I dont know the severity, i wish i did. I already feel like a bad dog mom, are you trying to make me feel worse? or do you have ideas, suggestions, or something constructive for me?

Because i am trying my very best to do what is best for Zelda. And if you have some ideas, i am all ears, or eyes in this case.

And i mean for example.. "same goes for eating -- bet the dog has stomach pain so avoids eating -- like a person who has Chron's" How can i figure out if she has stomach pain? Why would you draw to this conclusion when so many other dogs, particularly some GSD's are super picky eaters?
__________________
Mom of: "Zelda"
Born: December 15, 2012
In my Care: May 01, 2013

Last edited by VTGirlT; 09-30-2014 at 06:30 PM.
VTGirlT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:37 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com