Vaccines with health issues? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2014, 06:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Vaccines with health issues?

I have a 7.5 year old GSD. He has pannus on his third eye lids and allergies. His WBC count comes back slightly low as well if normal is 3.5-5 his comes back at 3 or so.

He needs surgery and all the vets in my area will not do surgery unless they are up to date on their DHLPP and Rabies. He hasnt had a vaccine in 5 years. Will it harm him to update his vaccines?
Nancy_GSD is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2014, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Rabies vaccine update I can understand but only if he is legally due. The others sound more like black mail and I would try to find another and maybe holistic vet. or titer him. The vaccines might compromise his much need health for the surgery.
wolfy dog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2014, 06:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Vets around here dont accept titers because they arent reliable according to a few sources. There is no holistic vets in my area unfortunately.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Sounds like you don't have a choice then. If the surgery can wait I would give him the shots at least two weeks before the surgery to giveh is body a chance to deal with the vaccine. NaturalRearing.com :: Loading Website... has several treatments that can help him handle the vaccines.
wolfy dog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Yeah we were planning to do the booster friday, then the rabies 2 weeks later. But I was wondering why do them 2 weeks apart? Wouldnt that just trigger his immune system more then needed as oppose if we did them the same day to just get it over with? Thanks for the link ill check it out
Old 09-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Do titers if you can. Otherwise I don't vaccinate when I don't have to. Especially on older dogs with health issues. My problem male with bad hips and fistulas doesn't get vaccinated - it is too risky with his health problems.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Titers are not accepted here unfortunately. My vet and a few other vets claim them to be unreliable and the only way to know if a dog is still immune is doing challenge studies where dogs are exposed to the virus to see if it gets infected. Challenge studies only prove that the DHLPP and rabies are good for 3 years as they havent done anymore challenge studies past 3 years
Old 09-28-2014, 07:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

where are you, sounds like black mail to me also.
huntergreen is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2014, 07:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Im in Canada. It sounds like blackmail to me to but they tell me its to protect the other animals they have in the clinic that may be to sick or young to be vaccinated.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy_GSD View Post
Im in Canada. It sounds like blackmail to me to but they tell me its to protect the other animals they have in the clinic that may be to sick or young to be vaccinated.
Where in Canada? We don't have the same laws as the US. I know several vets in my area deal with unvaccinated dogs.
Sabis mom is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.