When is enough enough - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2014, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default When is enough enough

Shadow is now 4 years old.
She is losing weight again, her dog reactivity has taken a turn toward out right aggression, she is coming in heat soon, her coat looks like crap.
I lost Sabi 1 year ago. Bud is 12 and probably wont live forever. Everyone I know is urging me to have Shadow put down and start over.
Shadow cannot be spayed due to health issues. Every time she comes in heat things get a bit worse. She has skin problems, food allergies, impaired vision and hearing, suspected brain damage caused by oxygen depravation and she has some behavioral issues which are always amped up by her being in heat. I have tried diet changes, she has had at least six sets of bloodwork, we have done stress tests on her heart, and eye exams. Testing is limited by the fact that the vets are all advising against putting her under. But a 65 lb dog that drops 10 lbs is a concern and she does this often.
So basically I have a dog that is managed not trained, who is never healthy for more then 5 minutes.
Sabis mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2014, 03:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

You do have a lot on your plate right now... First of all do not listen to what others (non-professionals) are telling you. They do not have to live with your decision only you do. I hope that everything calms down for you and Allie gets better...

Athena d.o.b. 02/01/2014
Eden d.o.b. 03/15/2014
My2shepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2014, 04:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Sabi, sorry to hear about Shadow. You do have a tough decision, but I bet everyone here will stand by your side whatever course you take.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

Think about her quality of life. Where do you think it rates? Since we are talking about a FA dog with ongoing health issues, think about your own quality of life.

As others have said, forget about what others are telling you to do. Only you can make the decision you are possibly facing.

FWIW - whichever way you decide; you have my support.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyla View Post
Think about her quality of life. Where do you think it rates? Since we are talking about a FA dog with ongoing health issues, think about your own quality of life.

As others have said, forget about what others are telling you to do. Only you can make the decision you are possibly facing.

^^^^ This. Sometimes the kindest thing to do is release them from their demons.

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2014, 04:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2shepherds View Post
You do have a lot on your plate right now... First of all do not listen to what others (non-professionals) are telling you. They do not have to live with your decision only you do. I hope that everything calms down for you and Shadow gets better.......

Athena d.o.b. 02/01/2014
Eden d.o.b. 03/15/2014
My2shepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2014, 04:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Sabis mom: Your question has the answer in it already. I think you also have to ask yourself how your quality of life is right now, not just your dog's. Different vets have different ideas and most likely you will follow the vet that confirms your own ideas and feelings. Imagine your life without her now and carry that thought for a while. Also look at the other dogs.They also deserve your care, energy and time.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyla View Post

Totally agree.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
E.Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2014, 06:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It sounds to me like she's having false pregnancy issues following heat. My 5 yo shows why the word for female dog gained a negative connotation about 8 weeks after her heat. The last boute was managed pretty well with herbs from an wholistic vet. Accupuncture and chiropractic might also benefit.

All that aside, there is a point where you weigh your options and it really comes down to "this poor dog has too many issues" then that's what it comes down to. Of course it is sad and unfortunate but it sounds as though you have gone beyond what many would for her.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2014, 06:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

I can relate all too well. No one can make this hard decision but you. There was a recent thread "When do you know its time". On that thread I discussed what my 14 month old was going through.
I sometimes think that I acted too fast, till I think about it.
For me, its all about quality of life, both dogs and yours.
I am sorry that you are going through this, I know its painful.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.