Fleas Issues... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 86
Default Fleas Issues...

Hi everyone,
hopefully you knowledgeable folks can help me out here. Over a month or two ago I had a flea issue. I had literally spotted 1 flea on my puppy's arm. I went to the pet store and the staff had suggested using the Sentry brand flea shampoo to exterminate all possible fleas on his body. After using the product my puppy had stopped itching and I continued to flea brush him everyday. There was an instance about 2 weeks after where he had gone out had picked up 1 more flea. I used the flea shampoo and waited 72 hours before applying Advantage II. I continued to flea brush him and everything came out clean. I also sprayed the entire house with Advantage brand upholstery and carpet spray. + Vacuumed the entire house every 2 days.

WHY IS THE *ADVANTAGE II* NOT WORKING?

About 3 days ago I took him to the apartment backyard and this is where it got bad. The day after I realized he severely started to scratch while crying. I had found another flea crawling on his leg so I immediately got the flea brush and brushed it out. I cut the flea in half to make sure it was dead. I realized he continued to itch and I had combed out 7 more fleas on his back and bum side. I gave him another flea bath where I found 1 more flea on his arm. I wasn't able to see if more went down the drain while rinsing. I reapplied the Advantage II more evenly around his back with supervision.

*NOTE: I am still applying the Advantage Upholstery and Carpet Spray*

His scratching decreased but I am 100% sure that there are fleas somewhere in the house. My roommate and I found 2 bites on our legs.

Hopefully, anyone here can answer some of these questions for me.

1) Should we just go ahead and hire an exterminator?
2) If this problem is still within our control, what sprays do you recommend to treat the entire house.
3) Should we get him started on some sort of oral flea treatment alongside the Advantage II flea topical?

Last edited by Lotus; Yesterday at 01:47 PM.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
hunterisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 3,671
Default

capstar every 3 days or so for a bit... extremely effective at killing anything that bites, and you just gotta wait out the eggs and such that haven't yet begun to bite
__________________
Hunter, USA trial helper, Charleston Working Dog Club Training Helper/Training Director
Beschützer des Jägers v. Sportwaffen, HOT, IPO1, AD, CGC
Katya v. Hügelblick, HOT, IPO2, CGC
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 54
Default

Sounds like they might be in the yard, i would call up an exterminator and let them take care of it. That way you have a money back guarantee they will be killed.
odins_raven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
capstar every 3 days or so for a bit... extremely effective at killing anything that bites, and you just gotta wait out the eggs and such that haven't yet begun to bite
Sorry, is Capstar an oral tablet? Is it ok for him to be ingesting this tablet so frequently? Also, what should I be doing until the eggs hatch? I've just been vacuuming and spraying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odins_raven
Sounds like they might be in the yard, i would call up an exterminator and let them take care of it. That way you have a money back guarantee they will be killed.
I normally don't take him out into the yard because that's where the neighbors take out their dogs. A lot of them don't clean up after them so I avoided it all costs. However, I wanted him to get some running in. The property manager said he will spray the entire backyard. I won't be taking him back there anymore.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
Magwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,272
Default

Agree re the yard. Wondercide (applied weekly until under control) is safe and seems to work pretty well in my yard. If your dog just keeps picking them up outside, all the stuff you are doing inside won't keep them out.

Advantage is a good product, and it works on my dogs. I have heard people claiming it's not as effective as it used to be -- same claim being made about Frontline (the thinking is there may be flea resistance developing). I haven't experienced that personally, I've just heard it in dog circles locally and have no idea if there's anything to it.

Comfortis (from vets) is supposed to be extremely effective. It's more expensive. Vectra3D (from vets) is also supposed to be extremely effective. Your vet could likely help you with either of those.

You've got to get the yard under control, and vacuum your house daily (incl. cracks along base boards) to get them -- then empty the contents outside in a plastic bag, tie it tightly, and discard it in the trash bin outside. There's no way around that.

ETA: any time you flea-shampoo a dog, make sure to start at the head, and work backward (be sure to get in between the toes as you move backward). The tail should be the last thing you do. The fleas will run from the shampoo and try to hide. If you do the head last, they'll hide in the ears, nostrils and other places the shampoo doesn't reach. If you do the head first, they run back toward the tail and you can get them all.

Last edited by Magwart; Yesterday at 02:15 PM.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 54
Default

Now that i think about it, i put down some bug killer in start of the summer and again before we got the pup because i didn't want ticks, fleas and other critters hurting him. I live in the woods and got a few ticks from chopping trees down in the back yard so i knew they were there in quantity.

I forget the exact name but i got it from Home Depot and it came in a big bag like fertilizer, it looks like dirt and you just spread it around the yard with a spreader like you would normal fertilizer.

Knock on wood i have not had any flea or tick issues to date. Sounds like you might already have an "infestation" so i am not sure if its wise to call in an exterminator or if the stuff you can buy at the store is enough to wipe them out, best of luck.

Also, we use VECTRA from the vet and it works great.
odins_raven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Agree re the yard. Wondercide (applied weekly until under control) is safe and seems to work pretty well in my yard. If your dog just keeps picking them up outside, all the stuff you are doing inside won't keep them out.

Advantage is a good product, and it works on my dogs. I have heard people claiming it's not as effective as it used to be -- same claim being made about Frontline (the thinking is there may be flea resistance developing). I haven't experienced that personally, I've just heard it in dog circles locally and have no idea if there's anything to it.

Comfortis (from vets) is supposed to be extremely effective. It's more expensive. Vectra3D (from vets) is also supposed to be extremely effective. Your vet could likely help you with either of those.

You've got to get the yard under control, and vacuum your house daily (incl. cracks along base boards) to get them -- then empty the contents outside in a plastic bag, tie it tightly, and discard it in the trash bin outside. There's no way around that.

ETA: any time you flea-shampoo a dog, make sure to start at the head, and work backward (be sure to get in between the toes as you move backward). The tail should be the last thing you do. The fleas will run from the shampoo and try to hide. If you do the head last, they'll hide in the ears, nostrils and other places the shampoo doesn't reach. If you do the head first, they run back toward the tail and you can get them all.
Does Wondercide really work well? I was considering buying it but for some reason the store seemed like they were sponsored by them and wouldn't take refunds if the product didn't work. I was pretty nervous about giving them a try for that reason.

This backyard is behind our apartment building that is shared by 8 units. Normally, I don't take him out there because they have some vegetables growing there now.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Wild Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Sorry, is Capstar an oral tablet? Is it ok for him to be ingesting this tablet so frequently? Also, what should I be doing until the eggs hatch? I've just been vacuuming and spraying.
Yes, Capstar is known for being VERY safe. They can take it once a day, veterinarians often recommend one a day for a week. Capstar will kill all adult fleas after about 30 minutes, but will not kill eggs/larvae. You have to treat your house as you are treating the dog, or re-infection occurs.
__________________
SG S-Hunter vom Geistwasser CA CGN TT (Airport Wildlife Control K9)
Zenna vom Geistwasser

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."


www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Elsieb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 22
Default

Sprinkling 20 mule team borax around worked for us when we had a flea infestation in florida years ago.
Elsieb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:24 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com