heart worm medication and exercise questions? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default heart worm medication and exercise questions?

I have a 4 month old gsd. I was wondering what heartworm brands you guys recommend that I use.

Also for exercise I take my puppy to a field and play catch with him for about 15 minutes and hes nice and tired from running around. Ive been told this is potentially u healthy so I was just looking for clarification.

Thanks guys!
kabylewolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

What region do you live in? I think that affects what products are likely to be most recommended (e.g., far North, deep South, arid West, etc.).
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2014, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

I used to use Heartguard on my last dog for 13 years. With the new one, he is on Sentinel. It protects against more worms. But its more expensive. Either would be ok in my book. As far as playing, as long as there isn't too much jumping and catching, I don't see an issue with it. I wouldn't run the dog on roads, but in a field on grass or in the woods on soft leaf matter, I don't see an issue with the puppy running. I take my boy to the woods for some off leash running all the time, have been since he was about 4 months old. I also play with a flirt pole since he was about 3 months old. If you limit jumping and hard road running, you should be fine.

I'm sure some will disagree, but I tend to be realistic. They need to run, play and tire out. I try not to be overly cautious, I guess the proof is in the pudding. We will see what my hip scores are in about 1.5 years. I might be eating my words :-)
eddie1976E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2014, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Does your dog have heartworms? If so, I know they should only go for short controlled walks with no long walks and no running. At least that's what the vet says at the animal shelter I volunteer at. The dogs with hearworms have to limit their exercise until the worms are gone, otherwise it could kill them.
Sir BEOWULF the Brave {male Sibe | Malamute | Wolf} 5/5/2010
counter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2014, 08:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by counter View Post
Does your dog have heartworms? If so, I know they should only go for short controlled walks with no long walks and no running. At least that's what the vet says at the animal shelter I volunteer at. The dogs with hearworms have to limit their exercise until the worms are gone, otherwise it could kill them.
Yes. This, a jrt in foster came to ontario from carolina hw+ he was crafted and medicated with limits until he cleared them.
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 12:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

OP said his dog is 4 mo. There's no way he could have a (+) HW test yet, as it takes about 6-7 mo. for worms to mature to a point that the test can pick them up. Most vets won't even test a dog that young, as it's a wasted test.

That doesn't mean the dog is actually HW(-)--just that any worms are too young to show up in a test (but if the dog is already infected, in a few months, the test could become (+)).

OP, the region matters. People are recommending Heartguard in the thread. That's very fine in Connecticut, where Eddie is, but I personally wouldn't use it in Louisiana or Mississippi where ivermectin-resistance is emerging (in fact, I took my dogs off of Iverhart, a generic equivalent of Heartguard, because of the ivermectin-resistance developing in the Mississippi Delta). In this region, Advantage Multi is a better choice in my personal opinion (as there's no resistance to it yet), and we have year-round fleas, so flea-protection is needed even in the winter.

So it really does matter where you are located. Your vet should be having a conversation with you about what products are best in your area, whether year-round flea protection is needed, and whether you need a "bundled" all-in-one product, or just HW prevention by itself.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Don't forget the evil dog-killer Trifexis.

Trifexis will take care of heartworm, three types of intestinal parasite, and fleas. Extremely effective and once a month.

But wait, here come all the naysayers and preachers of death...wait for it...

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.