bordetella questions. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2014, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default bordetella questions.

google research is telling me the vaccinations are worthless. is this the general idea among real people or just the few people that wrote for websites i read?

is there anything in general to lesson the chance? maybe an immune supplement? i don't believe they work with humans but maybe someone knows something i don't know about in helping prevent it in dogs?

anything that can maybe shave a day off from them being sick? i believe a lot of orange juice and rest can shave a day off from being sick in humans?

we're on our prolly 4th case of bordetella outta 2 dogs in the last year and a half. it's starting to be annoying. usual cases have lasted a few days but this time it's been slightly more than a week today looks like it's over. wife works at a place that does day/night boarding, grooming and training. dogs have to be vaccinated every 6 months to go to work with her. we don't let the dogs go if they're sick and a day shaved off or a prevention measure would help. they really love playing with all the other dogs 7 hours a day, and it tires them out for the evenings so i can sleep between 4-10pm.
scarfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarfish View Post
we're on our prolly 4th case of bordetella outta 2 dogs in the last year and a half.
With shelter dogs who come into rescue having been exposed to KC (bordatella), we find that if we get a dog on organic, unrefined coconut oil as a food supplement as soon as the snot starts, before they are full blown, they don't get as bad and get over it faster. The medium-chain fatty acids in it are supposed to have both an anti-viral and anti-bacterial effect.

See:
Remedies for Kennel Cough - Whole Dog Journal Article

We also find supportive care helps, esp. steam and essential oils (the same vaporizor you use for yourself or your kids when you get a cold can help a dog with KC--esp. if you add Vick's VapoSteam inhalant in the well, as it contains camphor, eucalyptus and cedar oil; a diffuser with Eucalyptus essential oil is esp. great in the room where the dog rests).

ETA: if your dogs get sick with any degree of frequency, it's worth assessing whether immune-boosting nutrition is needed for more general health. If you only do one thing in that regard (both for you and your dogs), add a probiotic. There's a lot of research in humans showing a good probiotic improves immune function in people -- one notable study found it dramatically cut the number of colds kids in nursery school caught (and if you've been around young kids, you know those environments are the functional equivalent of germ factories--and they bring it all home to the rest of the family). When I told a friend with Kindergarten-age kids about this, she stopped getting frequent colds. Lots of herbs and other things have been debunked, but probiotics keep coming up better and better in the research.

Last edited by Magwart; 09-19-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2014, 02:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I only vacinate for B. when it is needed for boarding. The vacine needs to be giving about a week before boarding for it to be effective.

Generally, I travel with my dogs (although recently it's been the same 150 mile trip over and over) and count on their immunity being up to snuff from that. If your dogs are getting sick after visits to the day-care, I'd stop sending them. There's a lot going on there and someone is bringing in something that the vacinne doesn't cover. Another option would be to look at who was in/around the week before they come down with their kc cases to see if there is a pattern and to see if there is a pattern about which vacine seems to work and which doesn't (nasal vs the shot).

Vacinating for bordatella is a little like vacinating for the common cold --- many strains of it out there, hard for a vacine to cover all of them.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2014, 04:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarfish View Post
google research is telling me the vaccinations are worthless. is this the general idea among real people or just the few people that wrote for websites i read?

is there anything in general to lesson the chance? maybe an immune supplement? i don't believe they work with humans but maybe someone knows something i don't know about in helping prevent it in dogs?

anything that can maybe shave a day off from them being sick? i believe a lot of orange juice and rest can shave a day off from being sick in humans?

we're on our prolly 4th case of bordetella outta 2 dogs in the last year and a half. it's starting to be annoying. usual cases have lasted a few days but this time it's been slightly more than a week today looks like it's over. wife works at a place that does day/night boarding, grooming and training. dogs have to be vaccinated every 6 months to go to work with her. we don't let the dogs go if they're sick and a day shaved off or a prevention measure would help. they really love playing with all the other dogs 7 hours a day, and it tires them out for the evenings so i can sleep between 4-10pm.
If you are exposing them to random dogs on a regular and prolonged basis, I would vaccinate. I don't board my dogs and they don't go to groomers or daycare, so I don't. Even with fosters in the house I haven't had one of my dogs get it in over 10 years. The vaccine isn't foolproof but does offer some protection.
Sabis mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2014, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I worked in a Veterinarian Hospital that pushes all vaccines. Dogs that were vaccinated STILL came in with kennel cough - I always tell people to think of the kennel cough vaccine like the flu shot. It protects more against a specific strain, and you can still get it, but it may not be as bad as it would be if you didn't get the shot.

Perhaps not "worthless" but, not a guarantee that your dog will not get kennel cough.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2014, 07:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

thanks for the feedback. we're still going to keep vaccinating 'cause it's required for them to go to my wife's job. i just with there was more that could be done to protect or to get them better sooner. i guess not. it's a real bummer
scarfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2014, 09:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Don't let them drink out of a communal water bowl. Bring their own bowls, just for them.

Magwart had some things in her post...
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.