German Shepherds Forum banner

Her itchiness is SO BAD! Chewing fur off her tail, her legs, etc.

10K views 55 replies 17 participants last post by  t-po 
#1 ·
UGH Poor Zelda.. It started first with yeasty paws.. Got that cleared with an herbal, and they look great now.
But its horrible.. She is so itchy. She chewed up her front legs, her back legs, her knee area, the back of her legs (especially right above her hocks) its all red and some what bumpy now... and her tail is probably a 1/3 the size it was and she has scabs all over it...... She is itchy EVERYWHERE though! Even with her XL plastic e-collar she can STILL Manage to chew her tail, so im buying bitter apple spray see if that helps..
I have NO idea what sparked this... I feel so bad for her!
My Vet really thinks its a "true allergy" and not just a sensitivity. So i am going to opt for the allergy testing. It's $370 for the food and regional allergy testing.
She is such a picky eater.. And when she has her cone on she almost refuses to eat! But as it is, she picks over her food at night.. So i just cant take it! I tried different food for her etc.. I know we talked about getting her on a herbal to stimulate her appetite, so we will probably be doing this.
I am trying to learn warming and cooling foods. My vet said she is a complicated case when it comes to this.. I am waiting to hear back from him on Thursday, and hopefully we are able to get her blood drawn ASAP for that testing! And see if that is it..
Back to the hairless wonder, uncontrollable itching, scabby girl! :(

It makes me really sad.. This is one of those moments i feel like im failing her.. She is skinny, chewing off fur she is so itchy, etc.. UGH! :(

See less See more
#2 ·
I did the environmental allergy testing. You may want to pick one, because after the testing, you'll need to buy the "treatment." Jericho is severely allergic to "pine mix" so another $180 later I have a serums he gets twice a day to help desensitize his system. Thankfully it's seasonal, but still it was terrible to watch/hear him itch.
I'm an amateur, but like I said you may want to pick either food or environment and go after them separately, if finances are a factor.

#4 ·
I had Onyx tested a few yrs ago and gave her injections with a serum specific to her allergies. She began avoiding me because she hated those injections. I recently started her on the oral serum, I know it will be several months before we see any improvement, but I have high hopes the oral will help.
She is an itchy scratchy mess this time of year and I'm supplementing her with everything I can think of to help. I won't go with Prednisone, which most vets go to immediately with these issues.

#5 ·
Sounds like her immune system has been compromised. There is tons of information on other threads in here about supplements that target deficient immune systems in GSDs. Also, the German shepherd has a wonky skin pH that is often effected by diet.i would look into a natural based vitamin and mineral suppliment.

#7 ·
I am walking in the OP shoes this week. My dog is doing the same thing. I know the cause which is flea and environmental allergies. The vet said we are dealing with 2nd degree skin infection. We are are on prednisone, omega EFA capsules xs, simplicef and phytovet ck shampoo. I did not want to go this route but the doc said she is so bad we need to clear up the itching and change things when all this is better. Ragweed is our worst offender this time of year in our area and it's all over the roadsides near our home.

I am interested in learning what treatment the OP ended up using as comparison with mine.

#8 ·
Why not try a prescription hypoallergenic food (and absolutely nothing else)? I know it is not "natural" but at least you would know if it was the food allergy. It is a pretty simple way to do it. Although if it is coming and going it is probably environmental.

I have been in contact with UC Davis dermatology over the years and they always start with eliminating flea allergies as those are the most common. The recommendation for me has been the real stuff and not the natural remedies... and again you would know in a month or two and then could explore the natural stuff once this is eliminated.

Finally, you have posted alot. I wonder, are you near a good vet hospital? Sounds like you really need a vet who specializes in dermatology.

Good luck.

#9 ·
I'm going through the same thing with my 2 year old girl Tess, she's been biting and scratching since the beginning of spring and it hasn't let up yet. She bites her paws, especially one in the back, to the point of making her limp due to the painfulness. We now put a sock on her back foot to keep her from chewing on it. She hasn't loss any fur yet, basically just licks her paws, groin area, scratches her ears and bites her feet. I feel so helpless, I've tried everything.

I am 95% sure it's environmental due to it starting in the spring when the trees began to bud. Plus we've put her on a grain free food Taste of the Wild, after eliminating different proteins. I'm saving up to get her tested, lately we've been having financial problems. It's always the way. Our last dog, a chocolate Lab, went 12 years without any problems at all, of course we didn't have any financial problems then.

Really upsets me to see her suffer.

#10 ·
i tend to follow what Doc above says, Immune system is compromised thus allowing allergens to be a problem. Raw diet can help to detox and strengthen the immune system thus solving many of these problems.

There are alot of threads with a ton of this information listed that might held for you to decide what could possibly work for your family and dog.

#11 ·
Actually the vet and I discussed going raw and she was not in support of it because of the possibility of e. coli and salmonella poisoning. I never thought of it that way, but I not interested in going that route.

Definitely get your dog tested. I compared the lab results with the growth cycle of the plants around us. I noticed when certain plants came into bloom how it affected the dog. Without the tests, I probably would still be changing dog foods. :(

#17 ·
She did not clarify about that. A friend of mine got hepatitis from working with raw meat so there are risks to people. Raw meat diets can be good I know. I feel intimidated with all the work involved with deciding how much of this or that. At this point it won't help me anyway because my dog is allergic to off the shelf proteins.

#13 · (Edited)
I had these problems, too.
A raw diet is the purest form of food a dog can eat. This is what they were designed to eat.

We had a lot of staph sore and itching problems.
They were made worse when fleas managed to get on my dog and bite him, this triggering a chain reaction of hives and itching sores.
I tried every cream, salve, powder, and shampoo there was. These would get rid of the itch and sores to a point, but they never went away.
I solved the problem by doing two things: removing all poultry, and adding supplements for skin: evening primrose oil, borage oil, and vitamin C in raw form to his diet.
I opted for raw, naturally derived vitamin C made by Garden of Life.

His hair grew where the bald spots had been, he had no more red groin and itchy belly, his elbow hair filled out, and his skin has cleared.

#19 ·
When you say that you removed all poultry, does that mean you do not feed them raw chicken/turkey either? Just want to be sure. I am going out today to purchase some Evening Primrose Oil and I'm also seriously thinking about ordering the raw vitamin C. My friend just tried using Evening Primrose Oil along with Sulphur and it's helping out her dog who is also biting and scratching non-stop. I've tried everything to no avail but have been feeding my girl raw chicken thighs and quarter legs, so I'm wondering if this could be contributing to her allergies.

One more question, is the raw vitamin C in powder form or pill form? How much do you give your dog in milligrams? Thank you.

#20 ·
I just have one question...People suggest raw because that is what dogs are meant to eat and it strengthens their immune system, etc, but if this is the case then no other supplements should be needed. Are all these other supplements whether on raw or kibble beneficial? Many years ago dogs lived longer without issues and all they ate was dog food, they didn't get fish oil, other oils, or vitamins, other then what is in the food. I'm not a big believer in vitamins, I think that they can sometimes do more harm then good. It just doesn't make sense to me that people suggest raw but add everything else anyway. I can somewhat see the benefit of raw and I understand the thought process behind it, but adding everything else just takes away from that. Anyone care to explain to me why its like this? It just doesn't make sense to me. The only benefit I can understand is that the protein is in pure form, but since I think that meat that is purchased today is pretty tainted, that doesn't even really fly either.

#22 ·
I think it's different for those dogs with problems. A Raw diet cannot fix genetic issues but I believe can greatly reduce some of those problems.

In the wild, a dog would get the benefits of whatever their kill ate via stomach contents etc. This is why I choose to supplement. I use very few.

#23 ·
Meat is not the only thing a dog would eat.

Look at any bag of kibble . Meat and ?? what ??
Meat if lucky.
Feral, and wild canids were used for a full gut examination to see exactly what they were choosing to eat . There was much more than just "meat" .

Supplement is the wrong word . Think of a diet as meat and bones AND other life and health promoting , integral ingredients , sourced from food , complete and whole .

#25 ·
Cathy you aren't so much supplementing as you are providing necessary parts of a diet that meat does not have . Meat and bones and fat from animal source are macro nutrients.

Did anyone pay attention to their dogs mid - Sept foraging on golden rod leaves? Never before flowering , just before they go to seed, and never when the flower is brown and seeded.
Watch your dog seek out wild garlic greens.

#26 ·
Just to throw this out there, Great Life dog food makes single ingredient foods with tapioca as the starch/binder. Tapioca is the least allergic binder of all.

natural pet food, holistic dog food, organic dog food, premium dog food, healthy dog food, pet treats, dog treats, greenies, eagle pack, nutro dog food, primal dog food, raw dog food, premium dog kibble, freeze dried treats, canned dog food, puppy fo

Dr. E's RX "Limited Ingredient" Dog Food

Pioneer Naturals Dog Food

Check those links out to investigate the foods, if you decide not to do raw.

#27 ·
one study - coyote diet

The Pennsylvania State University ©2002
Diet
Coyotes eat almost any type of food: small mammals (rodents, rabbits, woodchucks, raccoons, etc), large mammals (white-tailed deer, calves, lambs), fruit, green plants and tree leaves, invertebrates, carrion, and, in urban environments, garbage and house pets. Many coyotes will change their diets through the seasons of the year in order to take advantage of the easiest to acquire and most abundant type of food. "

fruit
green plants (grasses , sprouted greens, herbaceous greens)
leaves - weed and tree / barks , fresh twigs

#30 ·
I'm not sure about where you are but coyotes in my area look pathetic, well their fur does. They just don't look well, fur missing and dull. We have tons of coyotes and wildlife, no lack of food. I can just imagine the OP's dog looking the same way. It's the exact thought I had when I read the title.

#31 · (Edited)
Wow quite the discussion going. New perspectives eh?

I ended up getting the Allergy Test done, here are the results for anyone who missed it. http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/493962-zeldas-allergy-test-results-2.html

So as you can see she is allergic to everything under the sun ;) Which is why for the itchiness.

It has gone down some, which is probably the environmental factor. But she still is quite itchy. She will chew at herself a lot. The "hair loss" Is not from falling out hair, its from chewing it. It will grow back and is not something i am concerned about. Its mainly her legs and her tail. The scabs are healed mostly. Sometimes i find tiny tiny scabs.
Since my Vet is not being the best at getting back at me, im going in soon for a full appointment to just get his ideas of what we can do. HUGE change in diet for sure and i will go desperately poor and also probably oral serum for her allergies.

She went hog wild this AM for her Natures Logic Raw Rabbit patties after i warmed them up. (She usually isn't a fan of raw, such as the turkey raw or the chicken raw it tried giving her) I only bought another pack because i ran out of the last which she was eating well, and am out of her wellness 95% turkey. And i dont want to spend a ton of money on more food if she A. wont eat it or B. after talking to my vet we switch to something else and i wasted $80, like with the bag of Acana.

Her coat condition is rather beautiful actually. Except the rump which is a bit dull/dry. I keep good care of her coat and skin, of what i can! She gets her baths on regular schedule, i have a conditioner that is hypoallergenic and good for skin and coat, and i brush her out when its time to do so.
She needs to gain muscle weight and be less itchy, and have a beautiful FULL coat ;) which is the goal of the end results of a diet change.

#32 ·
This may not have any bearing, but don't over bathe her. Neither of my shepherds have an odor, and I only take them to be groomed 1-2 per year. I totally understand that she has a host of other issues that lead to her problems. Hope you get some good answers soon to help her.

#35 ·
Yes good point! I definitely dont over bathe and when i do its now with a medicated bath. :)

Do try the vitamin C. Can't hurt, and it just might help.
Worth a go! What brand works, anything on amazon? And how much she weights about 68, she should be a bout 75 or so?

Do you give your boy both Evening Primrose Oil and Borage Oil? Can you tell me how many milligrams you give of each to your dog? My girl is 84 lbs and I would like to know how much to give her. I am going to try giving her the supplements you suggested. Also, vitamin C, how many milligrams of this?

Many thanks.
Yes.

#34 ·
Do you give your boy both Evening Primrose Oil and Borage Oil? Can you tell me how many milligrams you give of each to your dog? My girl is 84 lbs and I would like to know how much to give her. I am going to try giving her the supplements you suggested. Also, vitamin C, how many milligrams of this?

Many thanks.

#36 ·
Here it is what I use:
I give one capsule of each, and alternate between the primrose in the borage. For example, one night he will get the vitamin C, evening Primrose, and turmeric.
Another night he will get the vitamin C, borage, and olive leaf extract.

Amazon.com: Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw Vitamin C, 120 Capsules: Health & Personal Care

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Super-Primrose-1300Mg-Softgels/dp/B0018O8IQA/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1413771496&sr=1-2&keywords=evening+primrose+oil[/ame]

Amazon.com: Barlean's Organic Oils Borage Oil, 1000 mg. 60 Count, Bottle: Health & Personal Care

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Gaia-Herbs-Olive-Liquid-Phyto-Capsules/dp/B005ACNNJS/ref=sr_1_11?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1413771577&sr=1-11&keywords=Olive+leaf+extract[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Source-Naturals-Meriva-Turmeric-Complex/dp/B004ICYO8K/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1413771617&sr=1-1&keywords=meriva+turmeric[/ame]

#39 ·

Thanks for this! :)

Thank you Sunflowers and good luck with Zelda - VTgirlT, I hope you find some kind of relief for her soon. Believe me, I know exactly how you feel, it's so hard watching them suffer.
Thank you Linda! Good luck to you and your furbaby too! Its never easy especially when you feel like you cant do anything.. :(
Will see how it goes!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.