Trying not to freak out - hemangio - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Trying not to freak out - hemangio

Today was Raina's annual vet visit. Everything was going fine until he went to feel the lymphnodes. When he got to her spleen he got a concerned look. He told me her spleen feels 50% enlarged but does not have any odd shape or bumps. He told me that he didn't want me to worry but that it could mean the beginning of a hemangiosarcoma diagnosis. I mentioned that about 2 and a half weeks ago she seemed to have a UTI but it cleared itself up in a few days. I noticed because of the smell. He said that could cause the spleen to enlarge as well and gave me a two week supply of doxycylcline. I'm to give her that for two weeks and bring her back in between two to three weeks to see if the spleen has gone back to the normal size. If it hasn't then he wants to do the sonogram to see a clearer picture. I trust my vet with my life and will do anything he wants but I am so scared right now after having read so many threads about those who lost their loved fur kid to hemangio I can't think about anything else. I'm really trying not to freak out right now as I look at her and she looks so healthy. Please, there can't be anything serious wrong. Okay, its not working I am freaking out. Can anyone tell me what to look for as a beginning symptom other than the enlarged spleen. Her coat and eyes look healthy.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2014, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Don't panic until you have a definitive diagnosis.

((hugs))

Fingers crossed for you and your pup!
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep View Post
Don't panic until you have a definitive diagnosis.

((hugs))

Fingers crossed for you and your pup!
Thank you I'm really trying to be calm. It just isn't working right now with the newness of the possibility.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hemangio may not show any external symptoms at all. It is extremely fast spreading & aggressive. It seeks out blood rich organs. Typically, dogs die peacefully when a tumor ruptures & they bleed out.

But, that is your worst case scenario. It may well be something else. I will hold a good thought for you & your dog. Please keep us posted.

I am sorry you're going through this.
zetti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2014, 01:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

I do not want to alarm you, but Hemangiosarcoma is very aggressive. Our old senior girl we had for about 1.5 months had it. She was 100% fine one day (running and playing). That night at dinner she wouldn't eat. The next morning would eat. When I got home that night he back legs looked like she had nerve damage because she couldn't stand normal. She looked very uncomfortable. I rushed her into the vets thinking it was something with her meds. After x-rays and sonogram...it was determined that she had a mass on her spleen forcing it to bleed into her abdomen. 15 tiny tumors had started to travel to her heart and lungs, breaking off from the mass. There was nothing they could do for her because the tumors were all over. I had to say good bye to her then so she'd not suffer. We adopted Charlie at 9 yrs old. She was sound and healthy up until 1.5 days prior to us having her put down. The vet told us that is very aggressive.He did mention though that because we'd only had her for a short period, he's not sure how long the mass has been there... I would certainly keep an eye on her and possibly get a second opinion if you don't feel comfortable. I'm hoping it was just an UTI for your Raina. Prayers for you all...
At the Bridge....Charlie - GSD (2014) and Shiloh - Lab (2010)
d4lilbitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2014, 01:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

stabilize health and prolong life -- traditional Chinese medicine use of mushrooms , coriolus versicolor , turkey tail mushroom Organic Turkey Tail Mushroom Powder 100g

Amazon.com: Turkey Tail (Trametes versicolor) 8oz.-organic dried Mushroom Powder: Health & Personal Care Amazon.com: Turkey Tail (Trametes versicolor) 8oz.-organic dried Mushroom Powder: Health & Personal Care

or in a formula I'm-Yunity for dogs | Supplement treatment helping dogs with hemangiosarcoma cancer;

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
Thank you I'll order anything that will help. Turkey tail mushroom doesn't have any real turkey meat right? Raina is allergic to turkey so I'm hoping its just the name of the mushroom?

Old 09-12-2014, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

don't do anything until you know for sure.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2014, 02:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

turkey tail mushroom is a mushroom - no animal protein whatsoever -- just a variety , like button mushroom , or reishi or maitake The University of Pennsylvania's Mushroom Study

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
turkey tail mushroom is a mushroom - no animal protein whatsoever -- just a variety , like button mushroom , or reishi or maitake The University of Pennsylvania's Mushroom Study
Thanks for that clarification. I thought that was it but needed to make sure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.