vet treatment for cut open hind paw? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2014, 03:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default vet treatment for cut open hind paw?

Clay cut open his hind paw pad on Wednesday and its still not healing I put a bandage on it but took it off last night to let some air get to it he must have been licking it at some point because it now looks a little infected it's also quite deep(deeper than it looks) the photo I added isn't the best but I didn't want to mess about with it to much he's always cutting his paws on one thing or another I've actually never know a dog to cut its paws as much as my boy dose anyway this one seems to be bothering him more than any other time so just wondering if I should take him to the vets on monday the reason I'm asking is he's a bit sensitive about his back paws being messed with i'm actually the only one he's at total ease touching this paws so it's no problem for me to treat it but I'm not a vet so if anyone has any advice or tips I'd love to hear them sorry about the long post thanks for reading and and advice given

I own two dogs and am owned by one cat

and I love them all dearley.

Last edited by happyblond; 09-09-2014 at 04:16 PM.
happyblond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Poor boy!
Definitely take him to the Vet. That's a bad spot for an open wound.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Take him to the vet. For the past nearly 3 weeks I have been pulling my hair out to get an incision on Orick's right hind paw healed where the vet removed a tumor (benign, but growing). She sutured it with the dissolving sutures, and within 5 days he popped it wide open. It was on the side of his foot, but the lower part went into the large pad. He also got it infected, and I started him on penicillin. The vet put staples in it after he opened it (bounding down 5 steps and spinning at the bottom). All this time I kept it covered, but not airtight (finally found a use for all those hospital no-slip socks my sister has been accumulating). Also had to wrap it in plastic when I took him out (leashed) so it didn't get wet. Along with the oral penicillin, I put Neosporin on it at least 2x day. The big thing with him was keeping him quiet enough that he didn't rip it open again, and I mean by running/jumping/spinning--I put a cone on him inside when I couldn't supervise him.

The staples are out now, and it is healing, but it has not been a fun ride. Just warning you ahead of time, lol. If his cut is deep, he needs the vet, and you will have to be persistent and diligent in getting it to heal!

Susan
Susan_GSD_mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.