German Shepherds Forum banner

Pink Ears

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Harry and Lola 
#1 ·
Is it normal - this i our first GSD - he is a male pup 13.5 weeks old, his ears seem to be bright pink on the inside and he seems to always have wax coming out of them - we clean them etc - but is it normal for the inside of his ears to be that pink?

#2 ·
It might be more helpful if you could submit a picture of your pups ears.

#4 ·
Our pup's were pretty pink and waxy for the first few weeks. He wasn't itchy or shaking his head often though, so the vet just suggested we watch him and bring him in if he does start to show those signs of infection.

I hadn't ever thought of what could be causing it, but we did change his food around the time they got better. May or may not be coincidental?

#5 ·
I can't remember at what age it started but Lola (6yo GSD bitch) always had bad ears - inflamed, pink to reddish, dark brown wax, always scratching them. I was always having to clean them and up the Vets to get drops or antibiotics for her ears. Then I changed vets and my new vet diagnosed her with low thyroid (hypothyroidism) about 2 years ago now. Ever since treating her for thyroid she has not had one bad ear episode. Just something to consider. But from my experience chronic ears such as you are describing are an indication something is not right, whether allergies, thyroid issues, ear mites etc. Take him to your vet for a diagnosis, I know when Lola was going through this I could tell she was very uncomfortable and was painful for her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.