Questions on HD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2014, 07:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Alice13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 349
Default Questions on HD

If you have read my comments in other threads, I have mentioned that I suspect my 9 months old pup has HD, mainly because the vet (not my usual one) said so when I brought her in because she was limping. She is no longer limping though but I am still scared because she has had some really bad slips on wet floors when she was younger. She still doesn't show any of the symptoms I read online and some of them are natural in show lines or so I read. I don't feel any popping when I put my hands on her hips while she walks and she still loves playing, has no difficulty getting up, runs, trots, you get the point but I figured it could still be too early. It is really hard finding a vet with x-ray here and I read some really bad reviews such as false diagnosis of the only one I knew. So if there is any other symptoms that you know of please do tell me. On a happier note, I wanted to share some pictures I took of her today
Attached Thumbnails
Questions on HD-1409310433516.jpg   Questions on HD-1409310458271.jpg   Questions on HD-1409310500189.jpg   Questions on HD-1409310532808.jpg   Questions on HD-1409310576749.jpg  

Questions on HD-1409310624607.jpg  
Alice13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-29-2014, 08:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member
 
Mister C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 502
Default

She's a beautiful girl Alice13.

My last dog had severe HD and was diagnosed at 4 months with x-rays. Despite her condition she lived a full life, passing just before her 16th birthday.

We managed the disease by limiting running, jumping and other activities that are hard on joints. We kept her lean and fit. She ate like a queen and ran our lives like the shepherd she was. Around 5yrs we started her on Rimadyl and ramped things up as she needed them.

All the while we kept focussing on the positive, enjoying her for the wonderful dog she was. And that is my point. Focus on the now, the positive, what you can do and try not to worry so much about the disease. That is if she even has it. Which she might not. I haven't read your other threads but it seems you already have a pretty good understanding of the symptoms. Keep an eye out for the symptoms as she ages while trying not to worry about them too much.

Dogs and perhaps GSDs in particular (among other breeds) study their humans and read our emotions. Our feelings are an open book to them. If you worry too much and stress about it your dog will pick up on that and stress along with you. I know my Maddie did that. I had to check myself along the way when I started worrying about her disease. It upset her tremendously to see me worry.
__________________
Linus van Pelt Haus Juris. My Sweet Babboo, born March 17, 2014.

Madeline Ronan Heart (Maddie) Dec 1997 -- November 22, 2013 Rescue GSD, Sable
Mister C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2014, 08:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Alice13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister C View Post
She's a beautiful girl Alice13.

My last dog had severe HD and was diagnosed at 4 months with x-rays. Despite her condition she lived a full life, passing just before her 16th birthday.

We managed the disease by limiting running, jumping and other activities that are hard on joints. We kept her lean and fit. She ate like a queen and ran our lives like the shepherd she was. Around 5yrs we started her on Rimadyl and ramped things up as she needed them.

All the while we kept focussing on the positive, enjoying her for the wonderful dog she was. And that is my point. Focus on the now, the positive, what you can do and try not to worry so much about the disease. That is if she even has it. Which she might not. I haven't read your other threads but it seems you already have a pretty good understanding of the symptoms. Keep an eye out for the symptoms as she ages while trying not to worry about them too much.

Dogs and perhaps GSDs in particular (among other breeds) study their humans and read our emotions. Our feelings are an open book to them. If you worry too much and stress about it your dog will pick up on that and stress along with you. I know my Maddie did that. I had to check myself along the way when I started worrying about her disease. It upset her tremendously to see me worry.
Thank you very much. You must have taken care of Maddie very well if she lasted for 16 years. Most sites I read talked about dogs having to be euthanized within a few years which is what makes me worry. I have been limiting her running especially on hard ground ever since the vet told me about it but she gets really upset as she is really hyperactive (even after walks and swims) and running a few rounds around my yard which has a portion of hard ground and grass used to be her way of releasing her energy. What upset me most was when she killed a sparrow the other day, something she has never ever done before. I am scared that as time progresses she will develop more behavioural issues. But of course keeping her healthy is my priority.
Alice13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
WVGSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 1,406
Default

She could also have panosteitis "pano", commonly referred to as growing pains. I would not jump to the diagnosis of hip dysplasia just because she slipped on the wet floor a few times. She could just as easily has twisted/sprained or strained some ligaments and/or tendons and these usually get better with time.
__________________
Shannon

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
WVGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2014, 10:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
osito23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: TX
Posts: 205
Default

Beautiful dog! The only way to diagnose hip dysplasia is with x-rays. I have a 7 year old mixed breed with moderate to severe hip dysplasia that was diagnosed at 8 months of age. I keep her lean, give her glucosamine, and she stays active. I limit her jumping and running on hard surfaces, but otherwise, she keeps up with the other dogs just fine. When she was first diagnosed, my vet told me the worst thing I could do was let her get fat and lazy. It's hard for me not to worry, especially as she gets older, but in spite of her bad hips, she does great. There are lots of things that can cause limping in a young dog including injuries or pano. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about with your girl.
osito23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2014, 10:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: ontario -
Posts: 8,693
Default

"suspect my 9 months old pup has HD, mainly because the vet (not my usual one) said so"

don't make yourself sick with worry. The vet can't make a diagnosis without an x ray . Looks like you are doing everything right . The dog looks to be in good physical condition , good weight and lots good exercise in water .
__________________
Carmen

**********

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2014, 10:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Moderator
 
gsdsar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,956
Default

Get X-rays done to confirm or refute the diagnosis.

If she has radiographic evidence of bad hips, start her on a joint supplement, keep her thin, fit and happy. Add in NSAIDS on bad days.

The vet I work for know is a big believer in treating the dog, not the X-ray. So, if she is happy and running and playing, let her. Of course within reason. Not a lot of leaping and jumping and climbing. But hiking, swimming, walking all are great to build and maintain muscle, which will support her hips and help her manage.

But you need to stop assuming and get X-rays done. Then you know. Cause you may be surprised and find out she is just going through a wobbly teenage stage with a bit if Pano.
__________________
"So that others may live"
gsdsar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2014, 10:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator
 
Cassidy's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 29,125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVGSD View Post
She could also have panosteitis "pano", commonly referred to as growing pains. I would not jump to the diagnosis of hip dysplasia just because she slipped on the wet floor a few times. She could just as easily has twisted/sprained or strained some ligaments and/or tendons and these usually get better with time.

Absolutely. Here's a link on pano: 01 Panosteitis: Growing Pains in Dogs - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!

A soft tissue injury from slipping and falling on a hard surface could also cause temporary limping, as WVGSD mentioned.

Even if it is HD, there are various grades. Many dogs with minor HD go on to lead normal lives with very few restrictions, and with severe HD there are several kinds of surgery, although it may not be available in your country. Unless your dog is in such pain that the quality of life is very bad, I would not consider euthanasia. HD shouldn't be causing behavior issues, I would guess going after a bird is just normal prey drive stuff.

In any case, it's way too soon to be freaking out.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2014, 08:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Alice13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 349
Default

Actually she has stopped limping a long time ago, it's just that I can't get what the vet said off my mind. I really want to get an x-ray but I am having trouble finding a vet who does that here. You guys might be right about her having pano as she is normal now. Thank you so much for your answers.
Alice13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2014, 08:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
lauren43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice13 View Post
. What upset me most was when she killed a sparrow the other day, something she has never ever done before. I am scared that as time progresses she will develop more behavioural issues. But of course keeping her healthy is my priority.

This is not a behavioral issue. This is a dog being a dog.
lauren43 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:24 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com